Lone Star 1956 Restore

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, low and behold! :shock: I had forgotten about a full sheet of 3/4" plywood (X) that was left over from our boys river barge project. The boys gave it to me. It is stored in our back storage building. I saw it yesterday as I was in there looking for something else. (I take it the good Lord is answering my prayer about what to make the transom out of....He put it right in front of my face!) [-o<

Looks like I'll be making a pattern for that transom today and getting the circular saw and jig saw out (unless it's raining). I like to mess with wood. Dad taught me that. :)

I try very hard to treat others as I want to be treated; with kindness, compassion and respect. I'd like to thank everyone of you for treating me with kindness, compassion and respect. I truly appreciate it!

Keep the wind at our back, the sun on your face and your eyes on God!
Have a good one~
M

Steve A W said:
Michelle
It's lookin good so far.
Are You going to paint it like it was originally?
Keep up the good work.

Steve A W

Thanks Steve! I'm trying.

I have seen the original colors of "Seagull White & Newport Green". I've even researched the paint codes and had a close friend that is a painter look at the codes. I know he can mix them, but I'm not really fond of them. They seem, well, plain. I'm sure she was glowing in 1956, and I don't take that away, but I want to do something a little different.

I like the idea of a light sand color on the inside and on top. It would be a feasible color for easy clean up and cool for these hot Texas summer days. There was a color in 1956 that was more of a turquoise/blue green that I really like for the bottom. I will have to wait and see what the middle looks like, left shiny aluminum. I sure do like the look of the shiny aluminum, but it's hot! The million dollar question is: How much $$$$ do I want to spend on paint? :shock:

I have envisioned the seat cushions being pleated vinyl Turquoise/blue green and light sand, with piping, to match the boat. We'll see. You have to remember, this is my "money pit", so David says, and since I'm not exactly broke out with money, we'll just have to see. :LOL2:

Whatever the colors, the motor will be painted to match, and the trailer. (eventually)

So, kick in your thoughts on that.

M

I am sorry to report that I have not had the chance to cut out the transom, yet. We've had over 2" of rain in 24 hours. No complaints, No excuses, just stating a fact. Perhaps over the weekend.

Thanks guys! I probably needed that little "push". :)

As the sun rises, the sky is on fire with vivid colors of pink, purple and orange this morning, I am thankful for my eyes to see the beauty He created. [-o<

New battery and plugs for the Merc 70 on our Starcraft barge/pontoon, so I know that will be first in line today. With all the rain, the Sabine River is up, so I'm sure our girls and grandkids will head that way. Me, I'm kinda thinking I might have to get some wind in my face at some point today, maybe. First, take a stroll on the barge out on the lake, then maybe get the Harley's out. Fellows.....that transom wood might get cut today, and it might not. just sayin........ :wink: Who knows :?: We might decide to follow the girls down river. 8)

Thank you Lord, for such a beautiful day, family and this free country we call home. THANK YOU! [-o<

Enjoy the weekend!
M

Rustoleum paint can be custom tinted, there are about 100 colors available including a turquoise.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Rustoleum paint can be custom tinted, there are about 100 colors available including a turquoise.

I did not know that. Thank you for the info. I'll do some research on it and see what they have available. Thanks again! :)

M

Rain, rain, rain, rain, rain........not complaining, just stating a fact.

I did pull off the old steering wheel today and cleaned it up. Sanded on it some, then used Dawn and hot water. Yuk at all the black! I ordered some PC-7 epoxy to repair it with. I have read several older posts on here about the product and how to use it. We will see what the weather does in the next few days, as I know high humidity might affect it. Post some before pics of the steering wheel. Pretty sad. :(

M
LS steering wheel 4.16.2015b.jpgLS steering wheel 4.16.2015c.jpg

Nice looking boat!

I found and bought what I thought was a Lonestar Admiral Deluxe in a local salvage yard a couple of years ago. I see now it must be a Clipper.

Keep up the good work.

Admiral Deluxe resized.JPG

VinTin said:
Nice looking boat!

I found and bought what I thought was a Lonestar Admiral Deluxe in a local salvage yard a couple of years ago. I see now it must be a Clipper.

Keep up the good work.

OH WOW! Those are so rare! Only made in 1956!!!
So, where did you find her at? State?
If you would like for me to ID for you, I'll be glad to.

TexasLoneStar56 said:

I found it near Gainesville GA.

Thanks for the serial number info in the PM you sent.

VinTin said:
TexasLoneStar56 said:

I found it near Gainesville GA.

Thanks for the serial number info in the PM you sent.

You are very welcome. Glad to be of help.

BTW: :WELCOME: Aboard!
I hope you find this site as interesting and helpful as I do. Everyone on here is friendly and eager to share their knowledge. :)

Please do start a thread on your restore. I am anxious to see what you are doing with her, or one of other vintage boats you have. Please let me know where your thread is so that I may follow it! I do love those old Lone Stars! 8)

Stay tuned in on Miss Fifty-Six! Comments are always welcome! :D

M
Tyler, Texas

Vin Tin,

Would you be so kind as to take a measurement for me, please? I see your Clipper still has one gusset for the back of the seats. Ours were all gone. I would truly appreciate some measurements on it, if it is no trouble to you. No hurry, I'm still a ways away from manufacturing the gussets.

Thank you in advance!

M
Tyler, Texas

Today, I mixed a small part of the PC-7 epoxy and experimented with it on a few small cracks. After about 4 hours, it was finally beginning to cure. I mixed up more, and applied to all cracks and chipped off pieces. Boy is that stuff thick. I had read where most people ended up using their fingers to smooth it out, but I really didn't want that stuff on my hands. I used tooth pics to push it into cracks and smoothed it out with the back side of a plastic knife. It was kind of like applying really thick icing to a cake, if you will. The hardest part was applying a glob of it to the chipped off parts that were gone. Had to mold it, so to speak.

I have it in the house, under climate control, so we will see what tomorrow brings. I'm sure I will be sanding on it, shaping as I go.

:?: What's the best kind of rattle can paint to use on it? Krylon for rubber and plastics, maybe? :-k I know I have to primer it first, then paint.

Comments Welcome!

TexasLoneStar56 said:
Vin Tin,

Would you be so kind as to take a measurement for me, please? I see your Clipper still has one gusset for the back of the seats. Ours were all gone. I would truly appreciate some measurements on it, if it is no trouble to you. No hurry, I'm still a ways away from manufacturing the gussets.

Thank you in advance!

M
Tyler, Texas

Here you go:

(that's a 1958 Lonestar in the background in that one photo)

Attachments

• Lonestar seat bracket 002.JPG
    Lonestar seat bracket 002.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,159
  • Lonestar seat bracket 001.JPG
    Lonestar seat bracket 001.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 1,160
  • Lonestar seat bracket 003.JPG
    Lonestar seat bracket 003.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,161
Vin Tin,

I can't thank you enough! I tip my hat to you, sir! :USA1: Fantastic pics!

I saw that other LS in the background. :D So, when are you starting a restore?

One of my fav sayings, "I'm like the fat kid in the candy store"; when it comes to vintage boats and motors. Most ladies want to shop for heels; I want to shop for vintage boat parts. :LOL2:

Thank you again! I have saved the pics for references.
M
Tyler, Texas

Good sakes at the rain! And more coming for the next three days. :popcorn:

Sanded on the steering wheel today with 320 black wet/dry. Epoxy is easier to sand than I thought it would be. Can't primer or paint with the humidity so high, so I'm at a stand still. :|

TexasLoneStar56 said:
Vin Tin,

I can't thank you enough! I tip my hat to you, sir! :USA1: Fantastic pics!

I saw that other LS in the background. :D So, when are you starting a restore?

One of my fav sayings, "I'm like the fat kid in the candy store"; when it comes to vintage boats and motors. Most ladies want to shop for heels; I want to shop for vintage boat parts. :LOL2:

Thank you again! I have saved the pics for references.
M
Tyler, Texas
Michelle
Your Husband is a lucky Man! =D>
So How long does the monsoon season last down there?

Steve A W

Latest posts