Getting rid of old gas and cleaning a rusty gas can. Help?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugoismad

Reaction score
When I bought my boat, the previous owner gave me 2 gas cans. One is a regular plastic one. The other is metal and is from Johnson. Since it matches my motor, I'd really like to keep it.

However it sat about 10 years with nasty old gas inside it. Yesterday I opened it up and poured it into a 5 gallon kerosene can I had, to get it out of there.

The inside of the can is rusty and very rough feeling, and when you run your finger over it, flakes come off.

The old gas was disgusting. Came out foamy and looked like old pee. Still smelled like gas, so I tried cutting it half and half and feeding it to my lawn mower, but that only resulted in me having to drain my mower tank and refill it. Any idea how I can get rid of this stuff? I called autozone and a few others, and they'll only take oil. My county doesn't have a hazardous waste disposal, and I tried calling a few hazardous waste disposal places in other counties, and I have to be residents of those counties to dispose there. I have no idea what to do now...

As for the tank, any way I can save it? I do have a filter on the gas line, but it was was pretty nasty on the inside of that thing, I'd imagine it could end up clogging the filter.

I did some reading online, looks like apple cider vinegar will help remove it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUYr_7SwGms

I might buy 2 gallons. Fill it up once and shake it for a while and let it sit then drain it out, then fill it up a second time and let it ride in the trunk of my car for a week so it gets shaken pretty hard, then drain it again and let it air out. Anyone have experience with this?

Go to the good ole YouTube for gas tank restoration !!!

I am working on one now. Not just flakes in the bottom, but, also pin holes.

What I have done so far is: removed all the removable stuff. Be very careful
as some of the screws will be so frozen they are rusted in permanently and will snap off.
If you break them, they must be removed with the EzOut.
Order new gaskets, float, etc from E-Bay as a kit.
Then, address your issues with the tank. To remove rusty scale from the inside, fill 1/2 full with water
and a cup or two of heavy duty degreaser, put in several handfuls of "coarse" rocks, not smooth pea gravel.
shake shake shake - let sit for a few hours - shake shake shake - repeat again and again and again.
rinse well - wash with the degreaser again. Simple Green, Purple Power, whatever works for you.
There are several good gas tank sealers on the market. I got mine from Eastwood.
So far, I have done a 20 gal gas tank for a 1930 Buick and two old Johnson 6 gal tanks.
With new gaskets and stuff, new paint job with new decals, they look really jam up with an old motor.

also, do the search here..... many good articles in the archives.

No leaks. Just rusty.

I'll try the rocks after I remove the float and fuel pickup.

Lugoismad
You might want to fill it with E85 and let it soak for a week or so.
This will clean out all the fuel and oil residue so You can tell just how bad the rust is.
If it's not too bad, do as Barefoot Johnny said. If it's real bad You can do "Electrolosis"[sp]
Here's a link to a thread on AOMCI forum; https://aomci.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=431
As far as disposing of the fuel, Find a local trucking company that has a waste fuel furnace.
That's where I get rid of gas that's too old to burn in my nephews old truck.
Good Luck with Your gas tank.

Steve A W

Latest posts