trailer modification

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frydaddy

Reaction score
someone added this plywood deck to this trailer. I want to take it off and run bunks. the boat is a 1654. would I be alright to remove plywood and old roller bunks and then just move center bunks further out?

if yes should I run them flat or up on 2in side?

if no I want to remove rollers and run 4 wooden bunks and try to position them where they are not under ribs.

also I will be in saltwater often if that makes a difference on bunks flat side or narrow side up.

Attachments

• 20150323_185948.jpg
    20150323_185948.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 3,018
Can't tell for sure if what I have is "correct", but my 1648 side console Lowe trailer has the 2x4 bunks upright.

I just added plastic strips to make them more slippery.

Either plan should work, one way may work a bit better for you loading/unloading, it would be a trial and error method to determine the best for you.

thanks guys, im going to coat the boat with gatorglide to help with loading. just wanted to be sure boat was supported properly on the road. I took a huge steel/plywood deck off the front and when I get the 2x8 and plywood off the trailer I will be taking a ton of weight off total package. im surprised the po didn't rip the nose off her winching that moster on that plywood.

I would run the 3.5" width up. My trailer is wider than yours and I have my 2 by 4 bunks bolted right to the trailer frame without bunk supports. I covered the bunks with an inexpensive PVC fencepost I ripped in half on my table saw.https://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda...-4-0-in-x-4-0-in-x-72-0-in-73010699/202084744 Sitting low on the trailer really helps launching and retrieval on some of the "Funky" ramps I use.

he is another pic before I tear all the crap off it. im going to go with 2 bunks and probably remove that rubber stop and mount a 2x4 carpeted stop a couple feet wide. my boat is squared off on front but that I will test how sturdy it is when winched up tight.

Attachments

• 20150331_161224.jpg
    20150331_161224.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 2,965
I can't tell from the pics. Are your fenders wider than the hull so you can drop everything down some?

nowgrn4 said:
I can't tell from the pics. Are your fenders wider than the hull so you can drop everything down some?

yes the first first pic was taken up close to try and show what was under there better. the sides of my boat are at a steep angle compared to newer jon's but I can go down some.

If it fits between the fenders I would junk all that bunk stuff and just mount some 2 by 4 bunks right to the trailer frame cross members. I used 3" long 3/8" stainless carriage bolts to mount the bunks. I countersunk the heads a quarter inch down into the bunk and used ny-lock bolts under the cross members. Remember to extend the bunks back enough to support the transom/engine. After placement on the bunks adjust the center rollers snugly against the bottom center line.

The lower you get it positioned on the trailer the easier it will be to launch and retrieve. Plus fewer trailer components to rust out.

nowgrn4 said:
If it fits between the fenders I would junk all that bunk stuff and just mount some 2 by 4 bunks right to the trailer frame cross members. I used 3" long 3/8" stainless carriage bolts to mount the bunks. I countersunk the heads a quarter inch down into the bunk and used ny-lock bolts under the cross members. Remember to extend the bunks back enough to support the transom/engine. After placement on the bunks adjust the center rollers snugly against the bottom center line.

The lower you get it positioned on the trailer the easier it will be to launch and retrieve. Plus fewer trailer components to rust out.

those old rollers are pretty hard and cracking what if I just took center ones off as well and added a third 2x4 down the center. my boat doesmt have a rib exactly in the center of it so it would sit flat on it.

nowgrn4 said:

those old rollers are pretty hard and cracking what if I just took center ones off as well and added a third 2x4 down the center. my boat doesmt have a rib exactly in the center of it so it would sit flat on it.

I'm stumped. The center roller(rollers?) really helps center the hull and eases cranking until it rests on the bunks when retrieving. Does the front entry have a Vee or is it flat across the front?

I got all the wood off. it is 62inch between fenders. im pretty sure boat will sit in there but I forgot to measure the boat. brought the trailer home so I can get it finished and put boat back on her.

Attachments

• 20150409_164000.jpg
    20150409_164000.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 729
nowgrn4 said:
I'm stumped. The center roller(rollers?) really helps center the hull and eases cranking until it rests on the bunks when retrieving. Does the front entry have a Vee or is it flat across the front?

it is flat across the front. this old trailer and boat were never a match other than they both are very old school and made of hard material. the walk is welded so its either cut it off or raise bunks at least a couple inches.

I'm doing the same thing to a trailer right now for a 1654 FB Tracker GRIZZLEY. I also launch at some shallow launches and am rigging a trailer so the boat will sit on it as low as I can possibly get it.
I also don't use carpet on the bunks.

Spray the carpeted bunks with silicone spray and you will be surprised how easy it slips off , just don't unhook it at steep ramps. I wrap the rope around the winch upright once ,unhook it unwrap it and off it goes . Not too fond of rollers , bunks spread the load better . to get your boat a little lower ,if you have room you can flip the axel to the bottom of the springs . I put snowmobile trailer tires ,like golfcart tires low and wide . made it easier to launch at unimproved ramps

taking forever. sanded trailer and then 2 days of rain, primed it and then another day of rain, painted and 2more days of rain. bolted on bunks and carpeted 1 and yep started raining. I decided to double up on the bunks and it still might not clear fenders. if not I will have to use bunk brackets and find different roller brackets. the ones I have will be extended as high as they go with it the way it is now.

Attachments

• 20150417_181644.jpg
    20150417_181644.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 715

Latest posts