trailer modification

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you measured the boat? From your first picture, it looked like the boat fit fine and was slightly below the tops of the fenders.

It is hard to judge without putting the boat on the trailer.

You'll figure it out. Good Luck, rich

p.s. Pouring like the blazes here in North Houston (Willowbrook mall) too.

yes I measured it and laid out the ribs on the boat so bunks would lay flat between ribs.. trailer frame is 48, bottom of boat is 56 and inside the fenders is 62. but at mid point of sides it is about 66, sides slope out a lot. I figure I will get a couple guys to help me set it back on there and hopefuly it will clear at least a couple inches. if not Im thinking I could cut some 2inch steel tubing for blocks under the bunks and raise it up a couple more inches. previous plywood crap was 8 inches but im sure I don't need to go that high

DONE. just keeping fingers crossed that the boat clears the fenders. hoping for no rain and 40 to 50% humidty tomorrow so I can get gatorglide on bottom of boat and get moving forward with it.

Attachments

• 20150418_124832.jpg
    20150418_124832.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 704
im not good at this picture stuff. when I viewd it where it is saved it is upright but when I post it it is rotated. do I have to rotate it where it is saved or on here before I click submit?

Looks great! After you get the hull on the bunks adjust the rollers firmly against the hull to help support the center line. Make sure the bunks protrude behind the transom a little bit to support the transom/engine.

Nice job.

richg99 said:
On a couple of trailers that I've had, the fenders actually had a slanted portion on the inside, to allow for wider boats.

The guy across the street from me has a custom trailer like that. It looks like carpet covered plywood half moon cutouts attached to the insides of the fenders. They nestle right up against the hull.

I was actualy thinking that I will probably rub the fenders from time to time loading on windy days with it being a flat bottom boat and no V to catch center of trailer. so if it clears I may put a strip of carpet or weather strip along inside of fender to save paint. or would it be better to just get or make some short wooden guideons.

I took advantage of the sunshine and but the gator base on today. and I remeasured the hull and trailer together and still wont know until I flip it over and put it on there. but I will hopefully get gatorglide finished Tuesday!!! ssshhhh don't say it (if no rain). and then by the end of the week I will be winching it up there.

as long as this trailer mod has taken with all the rain and no enclosed area to work from, I think when I get it back on the trailer im going to slap a base coat of paint over the primer add the tx numbers and motor and go fishing before I start on floor and deck mods. lets just call it a water test instead of no patience.

okay got boat on there had to raise another 2in but only have half an inch on each side. so now I think im going to add a piece of tubing to extend fender out. and add guide on. next issue is center of boat is too high for roller brackets. so I have another question. in my previous pic yall can see those old roller tracks. they have higher brackets so should I put one of them in the center or I can go with a 2x4 bunk turned 2in side up. gator glide has boat very slippery so im not worried about friction just support especially when loaded.

I see absolutely no problem running a roller bunk down the middle. All those rollers would give great support to the center line over bumps and pot holes.

Front roller? I think a carpet covered 2"-4" running laterally across the trailer would give better support to the front of the hull. This is how my trailer is rigged. The ridges on the bottom of my hull have worn through the carpet on said front support so I guess I'll have to notch the wood for each ridge and recarpet.

It's always something.

Latest posts