Trailer Bearing Replacement/Service Instructional Vid

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jomcdani said:
Any tricks on putting new races in without a race driver?
I have not tried this but if you cut a slot through the old race you can use it to drive the new race in and will pop right out.

You can rent a "race driver" very inexpensively at Auto Zone, they sell them too. Makes changing the races much easier. jmho

Thanks, I've read about using the old race and large sockets. I forgot that Autozone lets you rent parts. I will probably do that.

Thanks again,

After the new race was flush with the hub, I used the old race to get it seated. Then to get it closer, I put the old bearing in the old race (now in the hub as well) and hammered it in with a ball peen hammer. Then flipped the hub over and tapped the old race out.

Thanks for the replies.

FWIW I have a few trailers and lots of toys to do bearings on. I always used the punch and big hammer for oh so many years. Then one day I had to do something that I just couldn't get around with a socket. Since I was desperate I went and got a set at Autozone under that tool loan program of theirs. Buy it and take it back after for a refund. I used those that one time and said these babies are mine. Best $40 or so I have spent in a long time. I'm not one for buying exotic tools unless I have to but when you own trailers it's just so nice to grab what you need and knock it out. That goes double for those seals that are a tad oversize and issues like that.

jomcdani said:

brass drift and a little patience. Just tap it gently and walk it in

I was a mechanic for 20+ years, its easy for me

but I do have and recommend a race installer for novices.

When I did lots of changes in a service department ,I ground an old race down to a slightly smaller diameter than stock size for common ones. A wood block on top of it.. and whack away.
Used a hammer handle/hardwood dowel driven with a hammer to knock them out with.

perchjerker said:
jomcdani said:

brass drift and a little patience. Just tap it gently and walk it in

I was a mechanic for 20+ years, its easy for me

but I do have and recommend a race installer for novices.

[-X [-X So true , it's the best $20 you will ever spend. Most times you don't really need one but with old castings , especially ones that have caught a couple hits on the edge with that 2 lb hammer here and there they make things go so easily. Same goes for a cheap seal puller. Now you really don't need one of those at all for trailer bearings but once again if its hanging on your wall you will appreciate it and it will last a lifetime. Best part is you won't be getting all pissed off digging for some tool that will help you get by.
How about a bearing packer? I truly hate swimming in grease and even with all the right weapons on hand still get slathered in the crap. At least with a bearing packer you get it over with in 30 seconds rather than pushing that goo around with your palm. A packer won't do it any better but at least you are done fast and mine goes back in it's plastic bag coated in greasy slime. All these tools are the sort that the HF models will work just as well as the grossly overpriced (but sexy) snap ons.

I spray my springs with CorrosionX. Works on your garage door spring too!

The one issue is that the oil attracts dirt. To me though, its worth the tradeoff. Besides I power spray the springs from time to time as well to keep the crud at bay. After a dip in salt water, though, I use warm soapy water at mild pressure to get the salt out of the crevices, before going in with any kind of high pressure wash.

I watched #2 video. Wow, this is a fantastic "how-to" for guys like me. Certainly removed the mystery.

What really caught my attention was the water draining out of the hub when he removed the grease cap.

Latest posts