transom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdsnest4ever

Reaction score
To any and all who've replaced a wooden transom. Mine is rotten and I want to replace it before It goes back in the water. I was checking you tube and basically it said the best information on this subject would be found on Tinboats.net. My question is where can I find that information, and does it have to be specific to the boat that I have? Mine is a 1957 Arkansas Traveler 14 ft. v hull. It's a nice little boat now, but I want to make sure that everything is up to code before I take it to the lake. Thanks to all who can help.

You may not find anything specific to your boat but there are several threads here and they should lead you in the right direction. Try searching "Arkansas Traveler" and then some more general search phrases like "wooden transom", "replacing wooden transom" or "transom rebuild".

Thank you bobberboy. I will make a serious endeavor to find and read those today. It doesn't look as though it would be too hard, but then it wouldn't be the first time I messed up something that was purported to be an easy fix.

Here is the portion in my build thread about how I did mine. It's a little lengthy and drawn out because I had so many questions. Never did one before. Was pretty simple once I got into it though. Hope it's helpful.

https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26774&start=30

Bigterp posted a good thread.

It's not difficult to replace the transom, and there is a boatload (no pun intended) of threads and YouTube videos on the subject.

My $0.02: After cutting the plywood (untreated) to the proper size and shape, and bonding the 2 pieces together to get the correct thickness, coat the entire wood assembly with at least 2 coats of Fiberglass Resin. Once you do this, you'll never have to replace that wood again (if you also follow the correct process to seal the bolt holes).

Don't let this intimidate you - it's easy, and you have a ton of knowledge on this site to help.

Get 'er done!

CMOS

Latest posts