Under floor drainage clogged

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Forgive me I don't know the correct term for these drains so it's affecting my ability to search for previous threads. We've been out camping in a few heavy storms, seems the front of the boat always fills up quite a bit and the water is very slow trickling back into the bilge area to pump out. I assume the channels under the floor are clogged. Just wondering if anyone has successfully cleared them out without having to remove the floor/deck and if so could you offer some info for me to get after it. I can get to them from the bilge/transom area but if I get after it from that end I'm thinking I'll likely just pack the clogs further up or just put things around without being able to get the gunk out.

Boat is a 2004 (or 2005 I forget) Alumacraft 1756 with the tunnel if that matters. There only seems to be one small circular deck drain in the floor for access just behind the center console.

'Limber' holes are what they are called. Anyway to get a plumbing snake in from the bow? Some are flat, 1/4" to 3/8" across, some are round wire, some are coiled and thicker wire. Maybe remove the bow cap (if installed) to get down in at the V.

At worst cut a deck access plate and bed in a a screw-in inspection port. Wet out the edges of the wood with water-proof epoxy.

Any chance of sliding flex hose in the drain and feeding it in while running compressed air or city water pressure through it?

Dale, definitely not from the bow as it's just got one small compartment and a lot of foam around that. I might could snake something down through the 2" or so drain hole just behind the center console but I'd be working blind and would not be able to access the other areas. I like the idea of cutting an access panel and just installing a hatch cover. I'd have to find a schematic to be sure I cut in a good spot.

Waif, I did attempt that with a plain water hose. Maybe I can fashion up an attachment for a wet/dry ando vacuum out the clog.

I put a pic of the boat in the "post pics of your boat" thread above if it's useful.

The front of my boat sits lower than the transom so any water (raining, etc) collects in the front first until it gets enough to reach the back. When I pull it out at the ramp, it comes out in a good stream or sometimes when I am getting up on plane. Just thought I would mention it in case yours may be the same way.
Tim

It takes many years for those to get all clogged up. The problem is that internal ribs are not sealed up tight to the inside of the hull, SO the inside of those ribs are probably filled up with dirt, debris, caramelized oil, etc.... Honestly, your best bed would be to remove the floor and pressure wash the snot out of those ribs and drain channels, etc.. If your floor is good, simply re-install it. IMHO, running wires or something might help it drain for a little bit but all that debris under the ribs WILL work its way into those channels again. Do it right once and it will be many years before you need to do it again. PLUS, with the floor out, if you have waterlogged foam or any other issue, mechanical or fuel line, or electrical, that is the time to fix that as well.

earl60446 said:
The front of my boat sits lower than the transom so any water (raining, etc) collects in the front first until it gets enough to reach the back. When I pull it out at the ramp, it comes out in a good stream or sometimes when I am getting up on plane. Just thought I would mention it in case yours may be the same way.
Tim

Thanks. I'm sure that factors a little bit into it, but for example I noticed there's water in the front of the boat from the rains we've had the last few days down here and it's sitting on the trailer with the bow raised pretty high.

ericman said:
It takes many years for those to get all clogged up. The problem is that internal ribs are not sealed up tight to the inside of the hull, SO the inside of those ribs are probably filled up with dirt, debris, caramelized oil, etc.... Honestly, your best bed would be to remove the floor and pressure wash the snot out of those ribs and drain channels, etc.. If your floor is good, simply re-install it. IMHO, running wires or something might help it drain for a little bit but all that debris under the ribs WILL work its way into those channels again. Do it right once and it will be many years before you need to do it again. PLUS, with the floor out, if you have waterlogged foam or any other issue, mechanical or fuel line, or electrical, that is the time to fix that as well.

Rats. That's not what I was hoping to hear. The floor is solid, riveted on with the largest rivets I've ever seen so I'd have to get a new rivet gun or have it put back on elsewhere. Also worried about the rigging on the center console and all that. I would, however, love to get that floor up and reroute a bunch of cabling and various things and run some new pull strings for future use.

It is not that big a deal. Not gonna hurt much so long as your foam is dry etc. Just let it trickle out probably only a little bit of water.

Before I removed the deck I would install a tarp to keep it dry

Yeah it doesn't normally concern me but last year we camped through two monster storms with a ton of all-day rain. At the time I only had a manual bilge pump so I'd go pump out the water every few hours and the deck was still submerged after the bilge was empty. I've since installed an additional bilge pump with float switch so it shouldn't get to that point as it should pump more frequently and allow more trickle time. Last year was a pain though trying to get that water out before breaking camp. I had to drive the boat around in circles for 30 minutes with motor trimmed way up and bow way up in the air to tricky the water back to the bilge and even then there was still quite a bit under the floor.

Now with the rain I think skeeters are breeding in standing water in the boat. I'm gonna go fill it up with the hose and hopefully flush them out. Then attempt to free up some clogs while I can see the water flow.

Water pressure from drain end for a brief amount of time might force something out of the way or break some thing loose too?
Beware of pump valves though, or any scuppers.

WaterWaif said:
Water pressure from drain end for a brief amount of time might force something out of the way or break some thing loose too?
Beware of pump valves though, or any scuppers.

I did take a pressure hose attachment and spray up the two exposed channels in the back up toward the front. I'm going to attack it this weekend with a plumbing snake or wire and report back.

Captain Ahab said:
How was your bilge dry and your deck underwater?

I mean it wasn't bone dry there was water in there but after the bilge pump ran dry the front area of the boat had a good 1-2 inches of water still above the deck. I guess all the passages back down to the rear and bilge area are clogged up. I think the previous owner kept it parked under an oak tree as I've removed quite a few leaves and sticks and such.

These threads are completely wrong. The threads are old so I am not going to elaborate on the problems and the cures, unless someone still needs to know.

Latest posts