Am I an idiot, or - how to mount this seat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMOS

Reaction score
Howdy All,

Thinking about a nice seat for the "driver's seat" on my 1448 Mod-V in lieu of just sitting on the metal bench. Below are links to a base and a seat, which I believe are compatible, but I don't see how I can get access to mount the seat to the base if I place the mount on the bench seat first.

Likewise, if I mount the new seat to the swivel base, how can I access the swivel base plate to be able to mount that to the bench seat top?

What am I missing? #-o

CMOS :mrgreen:

https://www.iboats.com/Navistyle-High-Back-Folding-Fishing-Boat-Seat-Red-Gray-Tempress/dm/cart_id.204196135--session_id.875569621--view_id.331456
https://www.iboats.com/Garelick-Locking-Stainless-Steel-Seat-Swivels/dm/view_id.1074467

LOL no, you are not an idiot !! LOL

I did the same thing when I built a Lazy Susan for a big wood dining table.
had to drill 4 holes through a perfectly good table top to mount the swivel base.

But, you are in a BOAT - with the same situation. and you definitely don't want to
drill any unnecessary holes........

I see these seats at sporting goods stores but can't remember if they had a special
slide-in and lock type of mechanism that goes with the swivel base.
I will be interested in knowing how this one turns out for you.

can you post a photo of the are you want to mount the seat & swivel ?

some alternatives that come to mind is to mount the swivel base to the seat,
then to a piece of 1/2" plywood then secure the plywood to the boat seat
with whatever works for your application. Velcro is pretty aggressive stuff when used in large solid area.
Soft adhesives such as silicone are semi-permanent - can be removed with sawing fishing line through it.

If you can secure it without drilling holes, this is what I used to mount a seat on a Tracker GRIZZLEY.
I put a plywood piece on top of the bench and attached the seat mounts onto it using carriage bolts, then tied it in to the TRAC so it couldn't move. No holes in the bench.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,206
overboard said:
If you can secure it without drilling holes, this is what I used to mount a seat on a Tracker GRIZZLEY.
I put a plywood piece on top of the bench and attached the seat mounts onto it using carriage bolts, then tied it in to the TRAC so it couldn't move. No holes in the bench.

How did you attach the plywood to the bench seat??

Pics of my rig - rear seat in question:

CMOS

Attachments

• Boat11.JPG
    Boat11.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,204
I took a padded/folding seat and put SS threaded inserts into the 4 holes that attach it to the swivel base. Then I used some honking 1/4" heavy-duty rivets from McMaster-Carr to secure the swivel base to the boat seat.

Then it was a slow painful exercise, lol, but I'd turn the seat base so the bolts weren't over each other (just for access) and using a box wrench, I put a bolt up through the mating swivel & up into the threaded inserts.

Just be sure to align the seat to the base correctly BEFORE attaching ... as the base I had included a 'natural cant' to tip the seat backwards just a tad .... and on my 1st attempt I put the seat on sideways. Even though it rotated 360-degrees, when you stood up or left it, it would turn 1/4 of the way around and you always had to turn it towards you to sit back down again.

Easy fix, just a pain in the arse after securing all 4-bolts and removing and RE-installing them ... 1/4 turn at a time ...

CMOS, Overboard has a "track system" on his boat. he can engineer a "keeper bracket" to keep his plywood in place.
In your case, you would have to drill holes in the hull to hold it in place, or, Velcro or adhesive, but would work well.
Here is his rig with my notes.
seat base.JPG
you would have to make your own personal modifications. But, basically, this is what I was trying
to explain in my first post.

Good info guys.

I was also considering using some 1/4 rivets to secure the swivel base to the bench Seat top, but there just something awfully permanent about that. If I ever had to remove those rivets to change seat configuration, etc. . .!

I did notice the nifty clamps Overboard used on his board. I'll have to come up with something. Might even be able to use some SS T-nuts in the board to run the 1/4-20 swivel base bolts into.

CMOS

This is what I used for the swivel base in .010 - but there are angle brackets nearby.

DqU72Zq.jpg

1/4 x 20 bolt.

They are going anywhere and easy to remove.

That should be easy on that boat. The plywood would fit between the seat braces to keep it from moving, and I would make some type of bracket to either hook under the ends of the seat, or the bottom, to keep it from lifting. I ran carriage bolts up through the bottom of the PW so nothing was sticking down. If I wanted to leave some space under the PW, I would have used two 1"x3" boards on the edge and capped them with the PW to raise it about 3/4" more, but didn't want to be too high.
Might not be pretty, but it looks like 2 ratchet straps over the PW and around the bottom of the bench would also hold it in place.

overboard said:
That should be easy on that boat. The plywood would fit between the seat braces to keep it from moving, and I would make some type of bracket to either hook under the ends of the seat, or the bottom, to keep it from lifting. I ran carriage bolts up through the bottom of the PW so nothing was sticking down. If I wanted to leave some space under the PW, I would have used two 1"x3" boards on the edge and capped them with the PW to raise it about 3/4" more, but didn't want to be too high.
Might not be pretty, but it looks like 2 ratchet straps over the PW and around the bottom of the bench would also hold it in place.

I'm thinking about a bracket under the bench seat towards the ends where you see the "handle" looking space.

I'm trying to keep this "new" seat fairly low as I don't like the idea of high COG items in a small boat like this. Good ideas!

CMOS

It could be done if you mount the base to the bench with one side (front or back) even with the front or back of the bench seat. Then you can turn the seat base part diagonally and access the seat mounting bolts from the bottom, one at a time of course. :idea:

I mounted same said set up one time. I ran the seat bolts up threw the holes as there to long to get in after its bolted down. Tape them in place if they want to fall over and be a pain.
I Bolted down the bottom. And then proceeded to thread in one seat bolt at a time.
Drink about three beers before you begin the project it will help a lot.
Least we have gear wrenches now. I had to do mine with a regular wrench. Took several more beers to complete the project. :mrgreen:

Note my bench sets where open under neath so I used a piece of plywood under neath to screw into. Used lag bolts in the bench and new seat.

I'm thinking about a bracket under the bench seat towards the ends where you see the "handle" looking space.
I'm trying to keep this "new" seat fairly low as I don't like the idea of high COG items in a small boat like this. Good ideas!
CMOS[/quote]

Another option might be to use one of the clamp on seat bases, and mount the seat to that.
I would also fabricate some type of brackets, that would go from the legs that hold the seat on to the underneath of the existing bench to make it secure.
I would not use one of these unless it was secured by some means other than just clamping it on, I got dumped into a river at night by a unsecured one! If they are secured, they actually work pretty well, I did have one on another boat of mine that was secured and had no problem with it.
Without drilling holes in the seat to mount the base these are the only two options I can think of.

Latest posts