Ryans 15ft grumman champ

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiss My Bass

Reaction score
It's a 1988 grumman champ. The previous owner said he drove to fishing spot everything was fine went to start motor back up to go back to ramp wouldn't start so used trolling motor to get back parked it a year ago but now it's seized from sitting so I'm currently working on that if it turns into too much of a head ache I will be purchasing a 15 or 20hp for it. It's factory aluminum decking with carpet unknown age or carpet but super clean, bow mounted old mercury trolling motor and trolling motor for back I fixed electrical issues it came with (depth finder was shorted and bow navigation was shot) so once I get engine figured out she will be in water and I will be looking into Bimini tops. This is my first boat but I'm experienced with car engines and electronics so should be too hard. The boat will be used in currituck sound and various lakes and inlets in virginia and north carolina

Attachments

• 20150526_192434.jpg
    20150526_192434.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,236
  • 20150526_192423.jpg
    20150526_192423.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,235
  • 20150526_192404.jpg
    20150526_192404.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,235
The tag with weight and capacity is covered by carpet I found online weight it can hold is 855lbs idk how trustworthy this information is but does anyone know how much or where I can find out. Mainly curious how many people I can fit for boat rides

So local place has this 1994 evinrude 25hp motor for sale $1,250 they replaced water pump changed oil in lower inspected everything cleaned carb. willing to do compression. Test and bucket run it for me anyone know if this is a good deal or know if this is a decent motor? Cosmetically it's little rough but clean where it counts

Attachments

• 20150528_133727.jpg
    20150528_133727.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,198
  • 20150528_133734.jpg
    20150528_133734.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,198
Im always weary of used motors, But 60 day waranty is a little reassuring. Run the hek out of it in those 60 days if you get it. Some motors look and run fine in a bucket, put some weight behind it and it can be another story. Could run another 20 years, or crap in 2. thats how the used market goes.

Yeah it's a little older than I wanted but reviews for those year and model 2 strokes seem to be pretty good. I think im gonna try to get price down a little and deffinetly run it like a bat out of hell for the first 60 days

I noticed today in shop mystery oil wasn't sitting on top of piston in my 9.9 so grabbed the flywheel and she spun.sprayed some carb cleaner dumped the fuel filter and she started 3rd pull for about 5 seconds. The bulb gets squishy but when I pump it back up will run for few seconds I'm assuming this is carb issue so probably going to order rebuild kit this evening

I've had no luck with the mercury and decided to buy brand new motor. Some of the local lakes have the 10hp restriction. So it looks like I'm gonna go with a yamaha 9.9 anyone have some sort of idea how well that will push this boat with 2 maybe 3 people on this will I be able to plane out. And I know it's sketchy but how bad is getting a 15hp and swapping out decals for 9.9

well, you wont be breaking any speed records with the 9.9 but it should push it plenty fast. my boats a 14 with a 9.8 tohatsu and it flies... but its also empty. almost no weight. my buddy has a 16 sea nymph similar set up to your boat with a johnson 9.9 2 stroke and it pushes it pretty well. we get where the fish are plenty fast enough. i wouldnt quite give up on that merc yet (though i hate them) if it will start then it will run. squishy ball usually means (in my experience anyway) either a sticky float or try to rebuild/replace the fuel pump. also check every line and connection in the fuel system for even the slightest leak. a tiny leak will have way more effect than you would think. before you sink any money into it though buy/borrow a compression tester and check that. if the cylinders are low or not close to each other i would dump it and go with the yammy or save several hundred bucks and buy a Tohatsu. good luck and good looking boat.

Well I bit the bullet and talked myself out of spending the extra money and went with a mercury 9.9 electric start. For $2000 brand new. About 4 hours on it so far and haven't regretted it yet but time will tell. by myself on the sound with some wind and small chop I got up to 17mph with 2 people, 13 mph and it was planed out, 3 people got my to 6mph ha. It's not a speed demon but I'll still be able to get to the motor limited ponds.

Attachments

• 20150622_142319.jpg
    20150622_142319.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,041
Well it looks like I've come up with my next project for the boat. I'm gonna build a stereo for it. It's going to be a small carpeted box with 2 speakers on outside and head unit mounted inside with a lid to access it and have small storage space. It's not going to be mounted its going to be moveable with some extra wire and sturdy enough so if someone in center of boat wants a seat they can pull it over to sit on

Latest posts