Aluminum Framing Size Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What size square tubing do most of you guys use when building a sub frame under a casting platform etc? I think i will use 1/8 aluminum sheet on top of it. I was told dont space the framing any more than 18" apart for 1/8 aluminum sheet?

Any thoughts?

Used 1" angle (1/8" thick) for mine, square tubing is unnecessary and much more expensive

NP - longer runs you just run a vertical support from the boat rib to the underside of the aluminum support - see the early stages of my build for examples. I was using FRP not aluminum sheeting, but even still by backing it all with foam I really over built the whole thing.

1" x 1/8" angle is strong.

Standard aluminum store front door frames are 1 1/2" x 1/8" and pretty easy to pick up at the scrap yard on the very cheap. I paid $2.00 a pound. So a 6' 8" length [standard jamb height] was like $5.00.............

onthewater102 said:
NP - longer runs you just run a vertical support from the boat rib to the underside of the aluminum support - see the early stages of my build for examples. I was using FRP not aluminum sheeting, but even still by backing it all with foam I really over built the whole thing.

104 i am going to tig weld a lot of the frame work. i dont want any foam back in my boat, just pulled out all of the guts out and the soaked foam was very heavy.

Skiffing said:
1" x 1/8" angle is strong.

Standard aluminum store front door frames are 1 1/2" x 1/8" and pretty easy to pick up at the scrap yard on the very cheap. I paid $2.00 a pound. So a 6' 8" length [standard jamb height] was like $5.00.............

will keep that in mind

I have bought a few Aluminium ladders that I'm going to use for my framming. Check Craigslist, I got a 28ft for $20.

I suggest redesigning the foam installation so it drains properly and can't take on water.

Your boat had to have had standing water in it for a very long time for the foam to take on water. It's there for an emergency for sure, but it provides a nice ride dampening effect to the natural flexing of aluminum being pelted with surface chop when you're on plane.

My local scrap charges .99 a pound. Check yours out. Mine has really good stuff including tons of angle and square stock for cheap.

Latest posts