tin boats in salt

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhef

Reaction score
how the smaller tins 14 to 16 feet do in the bays, grass flats etc. i got a 1548 weldbilt but not sure if i want to drag it down to steinhatchee or not..

I had my 14' Duracraft in Charleston harbor a few times. On calm days it is not too bad. On windy days it can get hair-raising at times. Seas over two to three feet can test your seamanship. I guess you fail your seamanship class if you are out there in rough seas to begin with. Fighting wind, waves and current all the while avoiding other boats, ships, ferries and sand bars can keep you on your toes.

Go for it man! I used to fish out of St. Marks in a 1436. I had no problems except I had to keep an eye on the weather.

I run a 1548 weldbilt too. Been running it in the salt for 4 years. 20in transom is better to have and I'd say at least 20hp motor thats well propped. You do not want a sluggish or slow planning boat. I have a 16in transom but added float pods and that helps a lot. I agree with Kmixson when that breezy day gets windyyy from the wrong direction. While a 1-2ft seas can get bumpy it doesn't take much to get worse. Between duck hunting and fishing in those 4 years I've only had a handful of sketchy trips. Most of those being duckhunting. Duck hunters are just crazy like that...

I've got a 1650 triton that I take out in Winyah Bay. It can get pretty nasty out there sometimes, though. It might start out calm, but if the wind or tide changes, it can get real snotty. Still, this boat has a decent margin of safety. I've taken it in the ocean, as well. But I would not exceed 1-2 ft seas with it.

We have a 1448 Lowes and we fish exclusively in Corpus Christi on the flats. Difficult to control in heavy winds, but its a breeze to drift and pole.

I'm almost done with my Landau 1470, has a 20" transom with a 25hp Johnson and this boat will see over half of its usage in salt/brackish water. Will be pulling through the car wash directly out of the water for a good rinse then a good flush with earmuffs at home.

I 1232 in the lagoons of Florida east coast. I haven't seen any adverse effects to hull. It can get rough out there...that's when I don't go out!

13 ft. Duranautic with a 15 Yammie Rarity Bay back waters and connecting brackish rivers

You can run into trouble with corrosion if you have bare aluminum sitting on carpeted wood bunks. Easily remedied with glide sticks on the bunks.

Just make sure you wash the salt crud off the exterior and you should be fine. .....and flush the motor with fresh water after each use.

I fish a 1436 in the skinny water of coastal NC. Mostly protected and shallow flats fishing. Short jaunts down the ICW from spot to spot make me nervous on busy days. Big boat wake is worse than wind waves for me. While I can predict the wind produced waves and stay in relative comfort, I don't think other boaters realize they can swamp a small boat fairly easily. I have some very large vessels in my area. That said, take it with you. It will get you out to where the fish are and help you have fun. Mine catches a lot of fish. Take it!

My Crestliner 1462 has been handling Sarasota Bay like a champ the past 4 days. 15 hp mercury 4 stroke. I've been up and down the whole length of Longboat. Flushing motor and washing boat after each day with some salt away type stuff I ordered off amazon. My boat isn't the smallest I have seen out there either.

Wash the tin thoroughly and you should be fine.

Leave the channel (inside anyway) at just above idle - there's some interesting reef and rock stuff in there (though not as bad as the Homasassa). If you stick close to shore in the grass you'll be ok under most conditions - just keep a weather eye out and don't try to run across to Apalachicola!

I use my 25 HP Tracker Grizzly 1448 with side console in the flats of the Tampa Bay area and out into the bay during calm or light chop. I have extended my transom to 21" and have flotation pads so that helps greatly in the rear. Works well in the flats and can handle light chop OK. However even in calm seas, wakes from slow moving big boats need attention as they can be 3' - 4'. I have had one of those come over the bow once - scary. Windy days are a no go, I spend my time in the inshore rivers then. The boat gets a good wash down and flush every time out so no corrosion issues noted. It is nice to drive around all day on about 3 gallons of gas.

"It is nice to drive around all day on about 3 gallons of gas."

My previous boat was 15' with a 25 HP four-stroke. I know exactly what you mean about gaso consumption. I could troll all day long on a few gallons. Smaller tank also made it easier to remove and refill. My current boat has a 12 gallon "portable" tank. It is kind of awkward to fill while in the boat and too heavy for me to want to take it out of the boat, so instead I top it off from a 5 gal gaso can.

I run my 16' Lund all over Tampa bay. I do like to stop on the way home and dunk the trailer a couple times at a freshwater ramp.

Latest posts