1981 4hp evinrude outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I just bought this 4hp evinrude for my 14ft Jon. Was wondering if anyone has had one or know anything about them. Thanks

I have a couple in my arsenal. One was given to me that was absolutely worn out! Fellow that owned it ran it on his duck boat in the Winters and fished it the rest of the year. Not a piece on it that moved was in spec! He estimated hours to be well into the couple thousand and most of which was at WOT. I sold him a basically unused replacement. I currently have that one plus another one. They are twin cylinders, have decent power, Idle well, and good on gas.

A friend of mine has one that I borrowed once to fish a HP restricted lake. It idles great and runs smooth at WOT. He's had nothing but good things to say about it as well.

I had a 1974 model with direct drive... As in it was in forward and going anytime it was running. I like the little thing it was dependable as he11 ran great the only problems I had when I got it was the impeller was crazy hard to find ended up ordering from iboats and problem solved the other problem I had was the guy that had it before me had messed up the carb settings trying to get more power or something I'm not sure but it poured fuel in the carb so much it flooded if it wasn't at wot but a barrel and about 10 minutes I had it leaned out and running right. Very good motor don't expect to go anywhere in a hurry though

I have the 1988 Johnson version, twin cylinder, it has the spot for the gas tank to mount on the rear. Only has forward and neutral. It actually planes a 12' aluminum with just me and the gas tank up forward.

Another fan here. Vintage ~1975. I've taken it down to the main crank bearings after it was submerged and neglected for a year.

Recently, a cracked coil was shutting one cylinder down. After fixing that, runs better than ever.

There is a SINGLE. SERIES. OF. STEPS. you must follow to start it. Once you figure it out, write it down!

Mark_Fisher said:
Another fan here. Vintage ~1975. I've taken it down to the main crank bearings after it was submerged and neglected for a year.

Recently, a cracked coil was shutting one cylinder down. After fixing that, runs better than ever.

There is a SINGLE. SERIES. OF. STEPS. you must follow to start it. Once you figure it out, write it down!

Hello Marc_Fisher, would you mind explaining the single series of steps for starting this motor please.

This is for MY motor. Your version might be quite different This version has a combo fuel shut-off/ primer/ choke control and a saddle tank under the power head.
Commissioning

Change bottom unit oil [should have been drained on layup preceding year.]
Fill tank with 100/1 gas/oil mix
Test run on stand in water tub.
Install engine mount
Clamp engine to mount
TIE ENGINE SAFETY LINE

Cold start

Shift = neutral
fuel vent = open
fuel tap = open (turned anti-clockwise)
Prime (1) = pump primer bulb until firm.
Prime (2) = two full pulls of fuel tap
Choke = fuel tap set to red ring
Throttle = set to "start" position (1/2 range)
One pull of starting rope
Choke = off
One more pull of starting rope

Warm Start

Shift = neutral
fuel vent = open
fuel tap = open (turned anti-clockwise)
Prime (1) = pump primer bulb until firm.
Choke = off
Throttle = set to "start" position (1/2 range)
One pull of starting rope

Engine shut down

Fuel tap off (turned clockwise 95°).
Kill switch
Neutral
Close vent

Pappy said:
Mark, there was a dealer service bulletin that came out around the time your engine did that stated to not run 100/1 and to go back to a 50/1 mixture and remove the decal on the side of your engine.

Thanks for the update. That makes handling my mix of 2-strokes easier.

Latest posts