YJs 1236 Semi V Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matching the color scheme of the seats to the boat to the truck was a nice touch. Does the motor fire at all?

onthewater102 said:
Matching the color scheme of the seats to the boat to the truck was a nice touch. Does the motor fire at all?
Thank you onthewater.. Unfortunately the motor still isn't firing up YET. But I did find a replacement coil and spark plug wire on SearsPartsDirect. I bought a tester that says the problem is in the ignition system so since I've already replaced the spark plug, condenser and points, the only place, that I'm aware of, is the coil. I tried a couple different marine shops. One didn't even want to be bothered with it and the other said it would be about $2000.00 to work it out. (translated to me as "I don't want to be bothered with it"). Next stop. Sears Parts Direct for $37.47 . https://www.searspartsdirect.com/cr...60A/0006/217/model-21759464/0247/1305320.html
I also picked up a Humminbird 541 fish finder but haven't installed it just yet

What is it you've got for a tester? Haven't heard of much being used on simple old outboards besides a multi-meter and maybe a timing gun.

There are some great You-tube videos put up by a technician from Humminbird on how to read and interpret the information displayed as well as customizing settings etc. His channel is here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC720StZgdcrn-Ldn7vY4v1g

If this is your first fish finder keep in mind that unless you're doing a lot of vertical drop-shot fishing you're probably not going to be targeting the fish on your display while they're shown on it as you're only ever looking straight down. You can see a circular area with a diameter 1.5x the depth of your boat with their 60 degree sonar (IE in 8' of water you're looking at a circle on the bottom 12' in diameter so you're only able to see fish directly on the bottom about halfway up your boat assuming the sensor is on the transom.) What it really excels at is identifying structure on the bottom you wouldn't otherwise know was there,

Definitely make yourself up ~dozen marker buoys using 1oz surf fishing weights, cut up sections of solid foam swimming pool noodles cut into flat dog bone-like shapes and wind them with enough fluorocarbon fishing line to reach the bottom anywhere you'd be fishing. Just drop markers each time you encounter structure on your imaging. Best $10 I ever spent at Walmart as a kid! You can use them to mark specific pieces of structure or to visually mark a submerged outside weed edge/ledge etc. You end up making one pass scouting everything and marking it, then circle back and then fish all your marked spots.

Even now that I have the GPS on the fish finder I still use buoys to mark everything when I'm deep water structure fishing because they are a visual target you can cast to as opposed to guessing where something is based on a blip on a screen. The weights really don't disturb much so long as you pass by on the TM and hand place them in the water (rather than toss them & make a splash).

onthewater102 said:
What is it you've got for a tester? Haven't heard of much being used on simple old outboards besides a multi-meter and maybe a timing gun.
Not sure off the top of my head, I'll have to go out to the shop tomorrow and get that info.

onthewater102 said:
There are some great You-tube videos put up by a technician from Humminbird on how to read and interpret the information displayed as well as customizing settings etc. His channel is here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC720StZgdcrn-Ldn7vY4v1g
Just checked it out and bookmarked it. Thanks so much.

onthewater102 said:
If this is your first fish finder keep in mind that unless you're doing a lot of vertical drop-shot fishing you're probably not going to be targeting the fish on your display while they're shown on it as you're only ever looking straight down. You can see a circular area with a diameter 1.5x the depth of your boat with their 60 degree sonar (IE in 8' of water you're looking at a circle on the bottom 12' in diameter so you're only able to see fish directly on the bottom about halfway up your boat assuming the sensor is on the transom.) What it really excels at is identifying structure on the bottom you wouldn't otherwise know was there,

Definitely make yourself up ~dozen marker buoys using 1oz surf fishing weights, cut up sections of solid foam swimming pool noodles cut into flat dog bone-like shapes and wind them with enough fluorocarbon fishing line to reach the bottom anywhere you'd be fishing. Just drop markers each time you encounter structure on your imaging. Best $10 I ever spent at Walmart as a kid! You can use them to mark specific pieces of structure or to visually mark a submerged outside weed edge/ledge etc. You end up making one pass scouting everything and marking it, then circle back and then fish all your marked spots.

Even now that I have the GPS on the fish finder I still use buoys to mark everything when I'm deep water structure fishing because they are a visual target you can cast to as opposed to guessing where something is based on a blip on a screen. The weights really don't disturb much so long as you pass by on the TM and hand place them in the water (rather than toss them & make a splash).
Great idea on the marker buoys idea. I just happen to have some closed cell foam that would do the trick. Yes, this is my first fish finder and getting excited to go out and give it a try out. Get familiar with it and start learning some of the in's and out's of it.
Thank you so much.

Ok.. been a bit since I've posted in this thread. I've been concentrating on my patio deck, trying to get it finished before winter. Got all the joists done and as the $$$ is there, adding the deck floor boards to it, so hope to have it done in the next couple of months. In the mean time I've been tinkering with my new project boat. A 1648 Fisher-Marine that I bought, as it turns out, from a member of this site. That also included the trailer. Got them both for $900 and in my humble opinion I got the better end of the deal. I'm afraid I can't remember his name on this site, and I apologize for that, but his first name is Sam. I'll be starting a thread on that build here shortly.

Secondly, I want to thank everyone who offered up advise and help on the Li'l Fisher build. She was my 1st Tinnie build and I'm down right proud of how she turned out considering what I had to start with. (I'll leave ya with a before and after photo below.) Anyway, Thank you, one and all. Including those of you that didn't help me out, odds are I got some of my ideas from your builds. Thank you, all, once again.

BTW she is up for sale (or trade) so I can try to come up with a decent 50HP outboard for the new project, but not in a real big hurry so I can get some fishin' in. [-o< :p

Attachments

• 20150511_134648.jpg
    20150511_134648.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,300
  • 20150428_124148.jpg
    20150428_124148.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,300
  • z20D35909.jpg
    z20D35909.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 1,300
  • z20D35906.jpg
    z20D35906.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 1,300
SumDumGuy said:
The before and after of that boat are amazing. You did some real nice work there Y_J.

Good luck with the forthcoming build.
Thank you very much, SDG.. I appreciate your input on the build also for sure..

Latest posts