My jet Jon build thread

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would advise against putting oil in the cap for the stator. There are electrical components in there. If you have a stator and flywheel assembly disassembled, it won't hurt to spray a light coat of sea foam or other protective coating on the components. But anything more than that may cause problems.

I'm not putting oil in there. It's a idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mounted some angle iron today to hold the deck on. Ran out of angle iron.

534325ed1f084be05245dd95da3ba5ab.jpg

2b5e9e490711b4c16c66f64c9f9dc838.jpg

b77c41b46f35652c1590042ca16da589.jpg

c920513cdad8d93f8f720cbb5d3e2be8.jpg

I got my seat the other day. I plan on doing some carpet work and finishing up some other odds and ends this weekend

427f3a76e0dfca2bc2d02c0a5b727ec5.jpg

58f8e6672f3ce07e1f9f54e8063b74f1.jpg

Some glasswork from tonight. After the scoop dries, it will get a final coat, then the whole top deck will get carpet.

Man, that's looking good. I just started one myself, so I'm researching and learning. I'm planning on doing a weld in style, but you've got me rethinking it the way this is coming along.

Hey Boz - Just passing along my experience with the top loader grate you showed. I found out the hard way why the OEM grate has tine spacing less that the spacing between impeller blades.

I hit a gravel bed & before i could shut down i had rocks stuck between the blades of the impeller. It would still run but not push any water beyond idle. Was a long ride back to ramp!

If you need the scoop function, I recommend welding in more bars to equal the spacing on OEM grate. Also see PSG's latest grate design, is very cool.

Great looking tank. Did you weld it yourself?

Those top loader grates are OK if you only run on open water, where there is chop (and no debris). On choppy water, they perform as advertised, feeding more water to the pump and minimizing acceleration slip.

But on inland rivers, bays, back creeks, and other shallow areas, or in areas where there is a lot of debris, a top loader grate is a horrible thing to have on a jet boat, because it's a vacuum cleaner, and at some point, will result in a stick or gravel being jammed into the pump. If it's severe enough, it could lock up the impeller and cause the PTO to strip out (as many of them are just threaded into an aluminum coupler)

Several years ago, I had to consider the pros VS. cons of the 2 designs, and I decided a top loader grate wasn't for me. But neither was a standard grate. At first I designed it just like the weedless grate of a Sea Doo jet boat, but then improved it a couple of times, by adding more bars on the grate, and then eventually re-doing it as a stomp grate with 1/4" spacing between the bars.

Will my boat run wide open in chop, or take a turn at full throttle without cavitating? No. But I've learned where the slip limit is on the RPM's for certain conditions, and adjust throttle accordingly. I may not have the performance in choppy water, but when I go across a shoal, at least my @$$ isn't gnawing bricks, worried about picking up an oyster shell, rock, stick, or other object and damaging the pump.

Interesting info. I'll have to do some research.

As far as the tank, it was a custom tank we had siting outside for like 10 years. Cut about 3 or 4 inches out of it, and had a friend weld it back together.

Yep, I know all about cutting a tank to make it fit the boat. :mrgreen: This is what I had to do with my jet boat's tanks, so they would fit the profile of the gunwale:
Fuel Tank Modified.jpg

46a0d999c3448e8018af4bf3b16960d6.jpg

b3b02ba77e0da7eec4e8acba9d2fd263.jpg

It steers and the gas tank is hooked up. Just a few small things now. Should be on the water next weekend!

Got some loose ends tied up tonight. Final bodywork and carpeting on the front wood piece on Friday. Saturday will be a test run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IT RUNS! And I drove it!

636633254d31ada3f78d29c8bf8163be.jpg

1a6fec027b253a04c1258b1bdbaedf83.jpg

e89f8da3cc5456cb5956aa11d6177ed3.jpg

caa41475362a10f30158616b9bce4c8c.jpg

0e6c39d619f92e34950eb16f05287020.jpg

It's pretty quick and kinda sketchy. Lots of fun and i can't wait till warm weather to really rip it! Need to hook up my reverse, secure the 2 rear vents, and drill holes for air intake.

The only small issue is the pump is placed so it's slightly trimmed nose down.

Looks really well thought out!

I shimmed my pump to change trim, was a lot of work, just FYI.

Love your brick work BYW.

My issue is I can't shim the pump. It's one of those 1 piece Yamaha pumps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts