Edisto Island

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hankthecrank

Reaction score
Headed to Edisto Island, SC next week! YEEEHHAAAAWW! I'm taking kayaks this trip, leaving my tin home. My wife and I are looking at a week of relaxing. I'm planning on eating some shrimp! Hank

Let us know how you make out. Water temps are slowly rising but the reds haven't left the schools yet.

Ok , I will. I'm not expecting great things cause the water is still a little cool. A front is gonna move thru and that may dampen things a bit, but I don't care. I'll be on the water. :D

Yeah, the water temp is still about 63 degrees. But these warm days will likely draw fish into the marsh. They seek out the warmth of the pluff mud during incoming tides, as it has been warmed by the sun during the period of low tide. Your best fishing is going to be an hour after low until the water is beginning to flood into the spartina grass banks. Once it goes into the grass, the baitfish follow, along with the big fish.

On a full moon, or a flood tide, you can get out in the spartina grass and look for redfish that are tailing feeding on fiddler crabs. There are also some flounder being caught right now. Remember, we did not have an extremely cold winter last year. We had a TON of rain, but it wasn't bitter cold like the year before. This means there will be a few stragglers from an over-wintering population, not to mention what's moving back in here.

It's nice down there around Edisto. I'm on the other end of the SC coast, on the ruined tourist-trap strand. At least down there below Charleston, you have an overabundance of water and places to fish, and no over crowding. Here, there's too many people and not enough water, and that hurts the fishing.

Well guys and gals, Im back home , back at work ,ugh, and wishing I was still at Edisto. Had a great week, spring weather of course, but no complaints. Poured the rain down Sat. sat nite and Easter sunday. Had 2 inches of rain. Flooded lots of places, cooled the water a little but no problem. Saw a few guys fishing, nobody catching. Reds are still schooled up, no action there. Best day I had was Wednesday, fishing with live shrimp and some clam meat. Drifted these rigs in the creeks. Caught blue crabs on the incoming tide, no fish at all but when the tide turned the action started! Caught a lot of whitefish in the 16 to 20 inch range, one sheepshead about 14 in. Caught a ray about 24 inches in dia. Sure beats being at work! I fished out of my kayak, wind was blowing hard but stay close to the bank and the marsh grass it wasn't a problem. I'm retiring in 3 months so me and my yaks and tin boat are going to spend a lot of time together. My wife retires next spring. We kayak together, spent 2 full days on the water at Edisto. Happy fishing!

Yeah, it was a perfect week. I was either in the kayak, riding the bike or walking the beach. I live close to Parkersburg, WV. North west corner on the Ohio river. I have the Ohio, Little Kanawha river, and a bunch of lakes close. Hank

Latest posts