72 Mirrocraft deep fisherman 14

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
20160609_061030.jpgWell finally decided to post my most current project. I have always been a big and fast fiberglass boat guy but was getting tired of the time spent on the cleaning and maintenance of it. I told myself no more carpet to scrub. No more scrubbing fiberglass. No more 4mpg big motors.
Picked up a 1972 mirrocraft deep fisherman. Was very rough when I first brought it home but my plans were to gut everything anyway. The PO had a very poor plywood floor that was rotted away along with a small front casting deck. Removed the middle seat. And liquid nailed brown outdoor carpet all around up the gunells.
After a good long weekend removing, scraping and sanding the interior of the boat left me with a blank canvas as to what I wanted to do to it.
My initial plans going in was ZERO wood aside from transom.
A small front casting deck/sunspot for the wife.
I am still currently working it and still taking pictures as I go. The exterior emblems where redone and a sample section of paint was done to see if I like the color.
Benches were made from an old set of aluminium bleachers. All paint is SW industrial oil base. I do alot of painting and felt it was the best product for my needs. I still haven't finished the exterior of the boat as this weather is cooperating with my time. Along with the trailer needs rewired and painted. As soon as I can get back up to the store I'll start floatation boxes for under the seats and casting deck. I'll add more photos as I proceed with the project.

Attachments

• 20160609_061021.jpg
    20160609_061021.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 3,290
  • 20160613_193024.jpg
    20160613_193024.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 3,290
  • 20160615_181911.jpg
    20160615_181911.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 3,290
  • 20160620_063359.jpg
    20160620_063359.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 3,290
  • 20160623_062346.jpg
    20160623_062346.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 3,290
Welcome to the 14' MirroCraft deep fisherman remake club!

Yours is 6 years younger than mine.

I like your front deck. My front deck will sit atop the gunwales and hold an electric anchor winch and trolling motor.

Mine still sits inverted on saw horses, whilst getting painted as time and weather permit.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Finally got some more free time and good weather to start working on the trailer. Pulled boat off and put her upside down on a set of saw horses. First thing first, remove lights, wiring, plate and crank. The trailer it self was in better shape then originally perceived. Aside from wire wheeling the entire thing it has been the easiest job so far. I went to the local hardware and bought a can of rustoleum in a gloss black. Went on real well and I think I will only need 2 coats to have it look good and protect the metal.
Hopefully tomorrow I can get a second coat on the trailer and start the exterior of the boat.

Attachments

• 20160624_180451.jpg
    20160624_180451.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 3,180
Got a productive day in today. Got final coat of paint on. Cleaned up crank wheel. Made new bunks. Finished lights. Attached small storage box and made bracket for lisence plate. All in all a good day. Now that the trailer is ready for the road it's on to finish the boat.

Attachments

• 20160625_142746.jpg
    20160625_142746.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 3,129
  • 20160625_142814.jpg
    20160625_142814.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 3,129
Slow down! you're moving too fast! I can't keep up!

Trailer looks good. But, what was it before it was a boat trailer?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

It's a sterling tilt trailer and the PO put a deck on it. Still scratching my head on why, but it is still solid so I figured I would leave it. There is old sign of the hull scraping the wood. My guess was when loading or unloading. Rather it hit wood than a steel crossbar. That all I can think of.

Finally got the outside finished printed and new decals installed. Pretty pleased with the build so far. Still a couple of decisions to make. I need some sort of storage box to store docking lines, safety equipment, and other misc items. Also gonna start on electric box. Only want a 12v outlet, switch for lights and switch for plug.

Attachments

• 20160627_061825.jpg
    20160627_061825.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 3,005
  • 20160625_201238.jpg
    20160625_201238.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 3,005
  • 20160625_125959.jpg
    20160625_125959.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 3,005
I made a switch box out of a plastic outdoor electric box and cover. A coupe of toggle switches with inline fuses inside.

I have the same boat that I'm currently working on (look forward to my thread in the near future :shock: ), what did you use to seal the bottom? Looks great!! I applied Gluv-it to seal a few leaks and was looking at camo paint at Super Marine (https://supermarinepaint.com/marinepaint/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=90). Saw someone who used this and it looked great. My bottom will mostly be covered with a deck so I'm not putting too much work into it.

The boat only had 2 small leaks from screws the PO didn't pay attention to. I drill the holes out to an even 1/8. Used a hardware special marine epoxy, rivets and washers to seal the holes. Worked like a charm.

What prep work did you do for the exterior? Looks like it as in pretty good condition already, just needed a face lift. That SW paint has a nice shine to it. Looks great.

Dallas stewart said:
View attachment 6Well finally decided to post my most current project. I have always been a big and fast fiberglass boat guy but was getting tired of the time spent on the cleaning and maintenance of it. I told myself no more carpet to scrub. No more scrubbing fiberglass. No more 4mpg big motors.
Picked up a 1972 mirrocraft deep fisherman. Was very rough when I first brought it home but my plans were to gut everything anyway. The PO had a very poor plywood floor that was rotted away along with a small front casting deck. Removed the middle seat. And liquid nailed brown outdoor carpet all around up the gunells.
After a good long weekend removing, scraping and sanding the interior of the boat left me with a blank canvas as to what I wanted to do to it.
My initial plans going in was ZERO wood aside from transom.
A small front casting deck/sunspot for the wife.
I am still currently working it and still taking pictures as I go. The exterior emblems where redone and a sample section of paint was done to see if I like the color.
Benches were made from an old set of aluminium bleachers. All paint is SW industrial oil base. I do alot of painting and felt it was the best product for my needs. I still haven't finished the exterior of the boat as this weather is cooperating with my time. Along with the trailer needs rewired and painted. As soon as I can get back up to the store I'll start floatation boxes for under the seats and casting deck. I'll add more photos as I proceed with the project.

Count me in the MirroCraft Club. I was given a '68 14' Ski and Troll last fall by an elderly neighbor who was forced to sell his island home around the corner from me. I have already repainted it using the "roll and tip" method and just found a replacement windshield 3 states away. I have attached a post paint winter storage picture.Post paint.jpg
Am looking forward to the spring in NH so I can get on the water again.
allhansondeck

That color is great! I thought about using the same dark forrest green instead of the red, but in the end red is what was used.

Latest posts