Quick transome replacement ques

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldude

Reaction score
I searched the site and went thru 41 pages on this subject. I plan on using 3 pieces of 3/8" bcx plywood sandwiched together to make the 1 1/8" thick replacement. I plan on using titebond III to glue them together. I will also be using the old time method to seal it.

My question is: do I seal the sides of plywood that will be glued together or just the outside (front and back) pieces and edges? I didn't find a definite answer to this on my search.

Glue the plywood together first, then cut out the shape you need, then do the old timers.

oldude said:
I searched the site and went thru 41 pages on this subject. I plan on using 3 pieces of 3/8" bcx plywood sandwiched together to make the 1 1/8" thick replacement. I plan on using titebond III to glue them together. I will also be using the old time method to seal it.

My question is: do I seal the sides of plywood that will be glued together or just the outside (front and back) pieces and edges? I didn't find a definite answer to this on my search.

What reason would you have to not seal the edges of the plywood? Sealing the edges seems like a no brainer to me.

momule said:
oldude said:

What reason would you have to not seal the edges of the plywood? Sealing the edges seems like a no brainer to me.

I'm going to seal the edges. I just didn't know if i had to seal the sides that are glued together.

That's what i was thinking too. I just wanted to be sure. This is a 14' jon boat that "lives" in a pond. Not my boat, but the guy who owns the pond lets me use it. The transom was so bad even my trolling motor would flex it. The clamps on my troller just crushed the wood. I offered to fix it for him on my dime. The cap was also cracked on both ends so i had those welded.

Latest posts