How Fast Will She Go?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

larski

Reaction score
I now estimate that my 16' Starcraft Open Aluminum Utility weighs only about 300 pounds hull only not the 550 pounds I pulled off some ignorant website. I supported the hull at both ends and used a 300 lb capacity bathroom scale to measure weight, first at bow, then at stern. 300 pounds makes sense as opposed to 550 lbs because I am able to lift either end of the boat when it's on the ground.

I am now thinking of putting a new 30hp Tohatsu on this boat (same price as 20hp Honda). That engine weighs about 160 lbs (pull start, no electric trim / tilt).

So with one person in boat, I 'm thinking a total weight of about 700 lbs (300 boat, 160 outboard, 180 me, 60 fuel).

So how fast will she go in smooth water? I really can not find a good calculator on line for this but I'm gonna guess at least 35 mph.

Anyone know? BTW, the beam on this boat is around 5 feet and it is definitely a mostly planing hull with a relatively slight V at the transom.

How fast can it go? How about, how fast can it go safely? What does the manufacturer's spec plate say for the max HP motor. Sorry to rain on the speed parade.

do you have a GPS ????? That would be the most accurate
answer to your question. Will this be tiller or remote steer ?
and you have not mentioned any safety features you have installed.
such as a KILL SWITCH.

we, the gallery, always like to see PHOTOS of rigs when asking technical questions.

Bob Landry said:
How fast can it go? How about, how fast can it go safely? What does the manufacturer's spec plate say for the max HP motor. Sorry to rain on the speed parade.

Wow, both sanctimonious and ignorant in one post. Bravo.

Ignorant, because anyone with even a cursory knowledge of aluminum utility boats knows that a 16' boat can safely handle at least 30 hp.

I guess you just don't know the answer but that didn't stop you from posting your drivel in the disingenuous guise of looking out for my welfare.

Go pester someone else in your life with your petty nonsense.

Johnny said:
do you have a GPS ????? That would be the most accurate
answer to your question. Will this be tiller or remote steer ?
and you have not mentioned any safety features you have installed.
such as a KILL SWITCH.

we, the gallery, always like to see PHOTOS of rigs when asking technical questions.

Note that in my post I am suggesting that I am considering a 30hp Tohatsu. This means that I do not have the outboard yet. In fact, had I the outboard already on the boat I would not be asking my question. Seems clear in retrospect, I suppose now doesn't it?

The question about tiller vs remote is as they say, "interesting but stupid". I mean it's really irrelevant to my question isn't it?

But you like the nimrod before you also sidetrack the issue into the realm of safety features. More nonsense from someone who just is unable to answer on point, I suppose.

As to the request for a photo why is that necessary. Wasn't my description of boat fairly comprehensive? Another sigh that you are just a know nothing with a mouth.

Thanks for all your well-meaning help, guys or should I say girly guys?

At first I found your questions and comments interesting now I'm just amused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts