1975 Johnson 9.9 upper mount ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xXOnyxXx

Reaction score
i picked up a 75 johnson 9.9 for a good deal ... i gave it some TLC and last it needs the upper rubber bushing mount/seal done .. i cannot find any info on the procedure, i figure you need to drop the lower end and pull the power head .. any info on this is greatly appreciated.

I think that is correct. I'm think Leroy's Ramblings has it covered....however, the site has been down for a week or so for whatever reason. I have a 1980 service manual I can check in tonoight too.

Are you planning on replacing it with OEM parts? They are SUPER high. I have a 15hp with the same issue and if memory serves correct they total like almost $200! I think Leroy's Ramblings say how to modify automotive bushings to make them work. An alternative which I have been looking into is buying a used exhaust leg off Ebay for about $30 shipped and use the used shock from it.

wmk0002 said:
I think that is correct. I'm think Leroy's Ramblings has it covered....however, the site has been down for a week or so for whatever reason. I have a 1980 service manual I can check in tonoight too.

Are you planning on replacing it with OEM parts? They are SUPER high. I have a 15hp with the same issue and if memory serves correct they total like almost $200! I think Leroy's Ramblings say how to modify automotive bushings to make them work. An alternative which I have been looking into is buying a used exhaust leg off Ebay for about $30 shipped and use the used shock from it.

https://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0340178 here are online pricing for the upper mount .... yea i have been trying to get on leroys rambling but its always down when i try.

perchjerker said:
Well I could be mistaken, it was about 17 years ago.

I had a 4 stroke 15hp Merc Bigfoot, was told at the time by people in the know that the top was Yam rest was Merc. Maybe it was a 2000 I don't really recall it that makes a difference.

The kicker I have now on my Grady is a 99 9.9 Yam 4 stroke and the powerhead looked exactly the same.

I suppose both could be Tohastu.

Bottom line for me is both were great motors (for me anyway)

sorry but what does this have to do with the thread topic in this thread???

I have made those mounts out of rubber plugs bought at Lowe's for a couple bucks each.
Have done it on a few motors with great success.

xXOnyxXx said:
wmk0002 said:

https://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0340178 here are online pricing for the upper mount .... yea i have been trying to get on leroys rambling but its always down when i try.

Here is the expensive part I was referring to https://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0436469.
It may not be one that needs replacing though. I never researched it enough to see exactly what all new parts would likely be needed.

ahhh i see ... think i'll just rip it apart and have a look at it ... it's definately in need ...

xXOnyxXx said:
perchjerker said:
Well I could be mistaken, it was about 17 years ago.

I had a 4 stroke 15hp Merc Bigfoot, was told at the time by people in the know that the top was Yam rest was Merc. Maybe it was a 2000 I don't really recall it that makes a difference.

The kicker I have now on my Grady is a 99 9.9 Yam 4 stroke and the powerhead looked exactly the same.

I suppose both could be Tohastu.

Bottom line for me is both were great motors (for me anyway)

sorry but what does this have to do with the thread topic in this thread???

lol oops that was for a different thread

I made a set using polyurethane sway bar bushings. If you have a drill press and a hand grinder or dremel of some sort it is easy to make them. Grind down the outside hour glass shape. Insert poly in housing. Press the bushing inside the poly to expand to housing and walla...

...And they are a pretty blue as a bonus 8) ..though one can't see them..

Sinkingfast said:
I made a set using polyurethane sway bar bushings. If you have a drill press and a hand grinder or dremel of some sort it is easy to make them. Grind down the outside hour glass shape. Insert poly in housing. Press the bushing inside the poly to expand to housing and walla...

...And they are a pretty blue as a bonus 8) ..though one can't see them..

great idea, sure beats 2 mounts at a bill each .... what where the swaybar bushing for that you used??? i'm gonna try this before i dump about 200 more into this motor.

crazymanme2 said:
I have made those mounts out of rubber plugs bought at Lowe's for a couple bucks each.
Have done it on a few motors with great success.

do you by any chance have a link for the rubber plugs??

I've tried rubber but for me poly machines easier. I went into a napa and asked for a universal sway bar kit. Bought a set of 6 for 13 dollars.

thanks for the input guys .. i'm gonna pick up a set or two of each and see what i can come up with ... to do all the seals and mounts OEM gonna be about 300 bucks so this is for sure worth a try!

Keep us updated on the progress and the materials you end up trying. I will be doing this same job in the near future if I can get my motor running right.

Latest posts