Not a tinny story, but...I am published!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
I've been writing articles and even a column or two for newspapers over the last 20 years or so. Finally, I have been published on a kayak fishing web site. (Yakfish)

It isn't very long, and probably not of interest to many people, but this old guy is happy to be "published".

richg99

https://www.scout.com/outdoors/kayak-fishing/story/1676479-lesson-learned-a-senior-angler-s-first-kayak

Congrats rich. Good article for those of us considering a yak. I'm in my mid 60s and my stability is not what it used to be.

Completely off topic back in the early 80s we rented a farm house. We decided to raise some chickens, a couple of pigs and a cow. Wife and I went to a life stock auction and i got a black calf. I'm figuring since it was black it had to be an angus calf. We had a brand new dodge aries k wagon. I hog tied the little guy and laid him in the back of the wagon. On the way home i looked in the rear view mirror and that calf was standing up. Turns out he had the runs too. Never have put a calf in the back seat since then.

olddude...you are not so old. Ha Ha...

Being mostly a city or suburbanite kind of guy, I can tell you that I NEVER considered putting a cow in my back seat. Well, .... there was this girl in high school...whoops..

richg99

Guess I made a mistake using the word.... Finally. I've had a number of articles and columns printed over the years.

It is just that I hadn't submitted anything in ten or so years. Sorry for the confusion.

richg99

Most professional yak stores have "demo days" a couple of times a year. Great way to get the feel for riding/paddling in one.

But, you don't have to have a high dollar $$$ kayak to catch fish. Always, though....."try it before you buy it".

IMHO, sit on top (SOT) yaks are much better as fishing craft, than are "sit inside " (SINK) yaks. You can catch fish out of either style.

richg99

How nice....however....I'd like to tell you I am also good at GOLF. That, however would be a BIG FAT LIE. Ha Ha

Yesterday turned out to be a mixture of both highs and lows.

First thing, I found out that the story was published.

Then, I participated in our little local bass tournament...and took first place along with my boat partner. We used the other guy's boat.

Right after we finished our morning tournament, the rains came down... BIG.

Late afternoon I decided to check my tinny, which is now kept In-the-water about 15 minutes from my house. She was nearly drowned. About a foot of water was inside of the mail hull. Or course, my automatic bilge pump never went on.

With some difficulty, since I couldn't get the water out, I got her on my trailer and hauled her up enough to let the water pour out through the stern plug. I grabbed the float switch...and....the pump came on. Seems that the D#$%# float switch was unable to rise due to crud or something. I have ordered a new, enclosed float switch and bilge pump combination.

Always something...... regards, richg99

p.s. I am also in the middle of a DIY living room/fireplace remodel. It seems to be going well, but....I am holding my breath for the next surprise, good or bad. Plastering is done; electrical install went well; painting went well; new 55-inch flat-screen wall-hung TV installed quickly....but the next part is re-doing the tile surround and hearth.

Latest posts