Prop questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FormerParatrooper

Reaction score
Prop questions:

The manual calls for a 8x81/2 prop for my 67 Johnson 9.5. What is on it is a 8 1/4 x 8 1/2 . Is this enough difference that when I replace this prop for what the manual calls for that I will see a noticeable difference in performance?

These are pics of my current prop, it is dinged pretty good. I noticed some deformations on the blades themselves, what is the cause of this? What can I do to reduce it from happening? Or is it a badly made prop?

20160627_113326.jpg
20160627_113238.jpg

I'd use that prop, the 1/4" difference in diameter won't mean anything.

The dings are from someone grounding the OB in shallow water. Don't put a file to it. I smooth out prop dings on aluminum blades using crocus/metal cloth wrapped around a hardwood block.

How to prevent them :?: ? Watch out in shallow water ...

Thank you Dale. I will be following your advice. I am purchasing a new prop just to have a back up for anything that may happen on the water. I believe better to be safe and have a spare than to need one and not have it. I have a spare for about everything else that could wrong so a prop would be a good investment.

Latest posts