patio umbrellas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hipster dufus

Reaction score
has anyone used a patio umbrella for shade? i am thinking bout using my seay pole as a support, sliding a piece of pvc over it and inserting a patio umbrella in it. the pvc would have to be big enough to fit my seat post and umbrella, maybe 3 in dia. opinions/

This guy totally beat you to it

qnUeotF.jpg

I used Scotty rocket launcher type to hold umbrellas and patio umbrellas. They work great and are removable.

Yeah, I'll stick my beach umbrella in a rod holder, but I personally don't see the need for the size & weight of a patio umbrella. But I also have a bimini top on the 16' skiff, sized so I can stand under it.

Yes my dad lays one on its side and anchors off so the sun is to his back. It works ok and he uses the patio seat cushion for the bench seat in the boat. Anything to be comfortable and get a little more time on the water.

Seat cushions .... use patio seat cushions on boat.......

"This never occurred to me and I have a couple in storage! "

Ha Ha I also have a couple in storage...of course, storage is 900 miles away in Houston. Darn.... richg99

hipster dufus said:
has anyone used a patio umbrella for shade? i am thinking bout using my seay pole as a support, sliding a piece of pvc over it and inserting a patio umbrella in it. the pvc would have to be big enough to fit my seat post and umbrella, maybe 3 in dia. opinions/

I used 4 pvc Ts and 4 pieces of pipe to make a big square, one side slips over my seat pedistal and the other holds the umbrella out far enough to allow my seat to swivel w/o hitting the umbrella pole. I have a cheap, tilting umbrella and it works pretty good to keep the sun off. I can also sit in the seat and cast/fish easily.

I've used a patio umbrella in my last boat. I had to make an adapter sleeve to make the pole fit my vertical rod holder. I don't mind sitting in the sun. But my wife and son don't like to bake. So, I bring it for them. Works good and I only use it when we are not under way.

Sincerely,

jbird68

How about some pictures?
A couple of the med's I'm on say to avoid direct
sunlight. The last sunny fishin trip I went on, I was
sick all the next day.
And it wasn't from adult beverages, Most of the med's
advise to avoid alcohol. [-X
So I had to give that up :x :cry:
I don't want to give up fishing :!: :!:

Steve A W

Steve - I got two beach umbrellas at Bass Pro.
they are a bit bigger than the personal umbrella
and a lot smaller than the standard patio style.
It has an adjustable elbow to tilt in any position.
You could probably rig a 1-1/4" PVC pipe with straps
to hold it firmly in place. I would not trust the standard
pole holders to hold it..... the more beefier you can make
the clamp/straps the more secure it will be. Lanyard it
to something that will not move in case it gets blown out
of the holder - - - "case by case" when installing.
Yan Fishing 004.JPG

Just DON'T forget to remove it before you take off from your fishing spot. I was idling from one spot to another just on the other side of a bridge. OOOPS and right in front of a riverfront restaurant. oh well at least they got a good show. I probably should have charged admission.

I saw a mount made to hold an umbrella behind swivel seats. The pic is on Bracewell facebook page.

This is my PVC umbrella stand. Made of 1 1/2" pvc, 1 side slips over the seat pedestal then the seat goes on over it,the other holds the umbrella pole. The bracket can swivel 360* around the seat to position it anywhere I want it. I have 2 9' patio umbrellas and use one that has a multi tilting function to keep me in the shade if the sun is high or low in the sky. It stows and installs in seconds and the collapsed umbrella does not take up much space in my 1860. I cut the pole down a bit so the struts are 6" above my head when I stand next to the pole. I can sit in the pedestal seat and cast/fish easily, or stand and fish comfortably in the shade.

0905162139.jpg

I'll try to post pics of it in action if i have time tomorrow, I have also got a new way to cover my boat that's way more better than my PVC pipe frame.

richg99 said:
Outstanding... Bet that there is a small market for that thing.

richg99

anyone can make their own cheap out of PVC. Maybe an aluminum one would be profitable? Or a base that could be installed like a seat pedestal base behind the seat to simply drop the umbrellas post right into the deck?

Latest posts