What is the "go to" sealant for riveted hull boats.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunz

Reaction score
My boat is welded. but dads old 1959 is riveted. I noticed it was taking some water last trip.. Want to seat the rivet rows. What is the go to stuff to use. Keep in mind he is cheap so please recommend accordingly.

There are several that work good,
Gluvit, G-flex and a product by Goop that I can't remember the name of at the moment.

steelflex, coat it, gluv it, and 3m 5200. coat it is likely the best price.

keep in mind, you are only sealing the rivets - not the whole hull.
#1 with cost being a consideration, I would recommend just bucking
the rivets - hammering them back to the way they should be. (that part is FREE)
fill the boat with water first to mark the leakers and go from there.
a tube of 3M-5200 FAST CURE is about 12 bucks a tube but goes
a LONG way with just doing rivets and seams that leak.
Gluvit and SteelFlex is for coating the whole hull - not individual rivets,
but, will work if you have any on hand. Expensive to buy a quart kit of it.
Pappy recommends CA (medium body super glue).
seal from the outside - not the inside.
back to #1 = rebuck the rivets.

jus my Dos Centavos

Gulvit is just for the rivets and seams and is applied on the interior of the hull.

You can seal the entire exterior with Gluvit, or just the rivets and seams.

I used 3M 5200 (outside) on my rivets, and no leaks.

Academy has it in my local store.

I agree about doing it right. if it were mine I would do it right. Remove the rivets, Reseal the metal and install new rivets wet. That is the only RIGHT way to do if it you want my opinion. But its not my boat so I am trying to find something I can use to just seal the rivet seams. Looks like I might be too late. Think he already sealed it. not sure with what yet.. I will post when I know.

gunz said:
I agree about doing it right. if it were mine I would do it right. Remove the rivets, Reseal the metal and install new rivets wet. That is the only RIGHT way to do if it you want my opinion.
To add to that ... I'd make sure to position/block the hull VERY well to avoid having unintentional weight or stress on the pieces while doing do. I think I'd also work a section at a time & pull every 3rd rivet or so, install a Cleco temporary fastener, then re-rivet the ones in that area.

But man ... after putting in just a new transom I can tell you from experience - that your hull would be LIKE NEW 8) !

Agreed, This is how we do aircraft skin repairs. Clecos are a must. Dad sealed it with some epoxy of some sort. Havent been out to see it yet. But I am sure I will shake my head..

Thanks everyone.

Latest posts