94' 70hp Evinrude - Siezed then freed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRyno10

Reaction score
Long story short my Motor Siezed up and now is relatively free. However the starter can hardly spin the flywheel enough to start it. I want to do a compression test on it but I don't know where to begin. What should the compression be on each cylinder?

Why did it seize? Over heat?
Try pulling the plugs and see if the starter will spin the motor?
Have the starter and battery tested.

Pull the spark plugs and have a look at them. Probably #2 cylinder. Whatever plug looks different is the culprit cylinder.
Almost all seizures that just involve piston skirt to cylinder wall will free up as the parts cool. This does not mean the engine
is good to go again, not by any means. If you plan on running it with the damage....pour the oil to it!!!

There is an updated water pump kit for that engine. Been out for years and years. Chances are you never took advantage of that.
If you do the rebuild make sure you obtain one (not an aftermarket, OEM only) and get the complete kit
not just an impeller. It will have a new thermostat spring, cover, and instructions to re-route the indicator line.

Latest posts