Below water line through hull fitting and live well question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1lhorn

Reaction score
Used 1999 Klamath Stinger I've had for about 3 years.
Wondering if these through the hull fittings need attention. Specifically the one on the left has a thick black gasket that looks kinda cracked. The white one appears to have no gasket. Not wanting to let water get into the transom I might pull the left fitting and replace it. I've read that it not advised to used plastic below the water line through hull fittings but not sure if this is true or not. Any advice on replacing below the water line through hull fittings? What's OK, what's not?

Another question. I've never really used the live well. Looks to me like colored fitting on the left brings water in (pump is right on the inside of the transom of this fitting. Water goes to a spray bar over the live well. I believe water drains out a fitting in the bottom of the live well and exits through the white below the water through hull fitting on the right. There is another fitting on the side of the live well that prevents the live well from overflowing and sends it out an above the water line fitting in the side of the boat.

Question - to use this type of live well are you supposed to have a plug for the fitting in the bottom of the live well to keep water from escaping (if there is one it didn't come with the boat)?

Thanks

Attachments

• thruhull.jpg
    thruhull.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,701
It appears you have a thru hull livewell pump (the black white) and an overflow outlet (the white one).

You system seems missing a wire type strainer that screw over the threaded tube on the pump (the black intake fitting).

You don't need a plug for the overflow outlet however depending on the design of your system you should have an overflow near the top of the Livewell or a tube which is removable near the bottom to regulate water level.

If you have concern about the worn / cracked gasket just loosen the nylon nut discard the old gasket and put a bead of 3M 5200 and put everything back together and wait for it to cure (usually 48 hrs).

Thanks for your reply. I will get a screen to cover the pump inlet. Would using 5200 make it difficult to remove the old pump if it breaks? Would marine silicon be OK (might be easier to remove when replacing the pump)?

Yes, the live well has an overflow that empties of the side of the boat, above the waterline.

Thanks for your reply. Kinda wondered if you were supposed to use gaskets with these fittings, but from what I've seen it's not necessary if you use proper sealant.

The black fitting is your live-wells intake and needs a screen so your pump doesn't get clogged with debris in the water, the white is the live-well drain and is feed from the bottom of the live-well. If you want to keep water in the live-well you will need a plug. The overflow should be near the top of the live-well and should drain out the side of the boat, never plug the overflow drain.
Plastic fittings are fine. I recommend using a sealant rated for below waterline, like aquarium sealant which can be found at most hardware stores. There are other options.

Or simply unscrew the current fitting and replace the gasket with a fresh one if you want it to be easy to service in the future. Odds of you needing to replace the pump are higher if you don't have a screen filtering it though.

Latest posts