Weight balance.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmr72

Reaction score
I got a 73 Sears 12 footer last summer. Small, but gets the job done. Just put it back in the water at the lake house. Had it out today by myself and that thing is a bit tough to maneuver with so little weight in the front. Usually out with my 9 year old. He gives it enough to help steer. Should I move the gas tank up? Its only a 3 gallon. My motor is only a 5 hp. , but the lake is only three miles. What are my options?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually use either commercial bags of sand, sold for winter traction or perhaps for gardening. Also, just really durable commerical bags...like 50lb dog food bags, which are water proof and heavy, filled with gravel or/and sand.

I've got about 80 lbs up front in my Alumacraft model RB, a 12ft boat, with a 70 lb 10 horse motor, the gas can, and me in the back. Adjust as needed.

Have fun.

Can you fix, semi-permanently, a Five Gallon bucket up front? Filled with water ( 8 lbs per gallon) that would add 40 lbs..

At least you can vary the amount by how much water you add. Be certain that it is well attached, and the cover is locked down, too. You don't want a lot of sloshing around.

A handy guy could add a spigot on the bottom that would allow you to drain the water out when necessary.

richg99

richg99 said:
Can you fix, semi-permanently, a Five Gallon bucket up front? Filled with water ( 8 lbs per gallon) that would add 40 lbs..

At least you can vary the amount by how much water you add. Be certain that it is well attached, and the cover is locked down, too. You don't want a lot of sloshing around.
"Water ballast" is as old as boats and is even used on big ships today!

I usually move the tank or would do the bucket trick Rich mentions. Simple is good ... as trim is crucial on small boats!

Some good, experienced, opinions offered here.

I don't argue, but my choice for the sand was the ability to shape it over on one side of the bow and have it stay there, and the stability of the weight. When I tried--first gallon jugs, then a 5 gallon bucket--the empty jugs were somehow always in the way in the car, and the bigger container wanted to be centered in the middle of the semi-v.

Whatever you choose, best wishes and be safe.

jethro said:
In my light jon boat I put a deep cycle battery up front.

This. I don't ADD weight just for ballast if I can help it. I try to relocate existing weight . Keep in mind our little boats are very weight sensitive so I try not to add any weight I don't need.

Latest posts