Leaks in bow and side seams - weld, gluv-it, other?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weweber3

Reaction score
I have a thread running the projects section of the site but wanted some specific guidance here.

As you can see in the pics below, I put some water inside the boat to test the seams. I have a leak about halfway up the bow and a couple leaks on the side seams. There does not appear to be any leaks from the bottom rivets or the bottom of the transom and up the sides of the transom.

What is the best course of action to repair? Weld all seams - from outside or inside? Use gluv-it - from outside or inside? Or other option?

Thanks all.

Larger Project Thread - https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=41208&p=417521#p417521

Attachments

• side_leak.jpg
    side_leak.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,330
  • boat_with_water.jpg
    boat_with_water.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,330
  • bow_leak_2.jpg
    bow_leak_2.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,326
  • bow_seam.jpg
    bow_seam.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1,326
I had 2 leaky rivits on the bottom of my Tracker 1542. the first thing I did (and it worked) was to re-buck the rivits. But I see you have your tin completely gutted, I would re-buck the rivits, then Gluvit the inside. I believe Steelflex on the outside, Gluvit on the inside is how the "Ol' Timers" on Tinboats say it. But please verify that, as I have not used either; yet.

I can certainly give the rivets some tapping and try to tighten them up. My concern is this boat is 50 years old and hasn't been used at all for quite some time... get it out on the water and I have more rivets that need re-worked, etc. I would like to do all the prep work NOW and solve the current problems and the future, potential problems.

I have seen others say Gluv-It on the OUTSIDE... which is right?

I have the same problem with a boat that is as old. My concern with rebucking the rivets, is that I have read that it could worsen any small cracks that have developed around the rivets. After reading your post about applying the gluvit to the interior or exterior I decided to send an email to the company asking the same question. If I hear back I will post the response here. It would seem to make sense, as far as blocking water from entering, to apply it to the outside of the hull. However, I know my small boat sees contact with sand and gravel beaches from time to time and I worry that this would cause wear on the epoxy.

Good call rootbeer. I would like to strip this baby down to the metal, fix leaks, prep, prime and paint.

I like the idea of gluv-it because I can cover all seams and rivets.

Welding isn't really an option as there was typically a layer of sealing agent between the aluminum on those seams, so heating it up will just cause more problems by wrecking the seal in the area. It's probably the same material that is now failing and allowing leaks to form. Unless you see cracks that aren't visible in the pictures I don't think cracking of the aluminum is the issue so I'd go with rebucking the rivets to start with and see where it gets you before you go gooping everything up.

onthewater102 said:
Welding isn't really an option as there was typically a layer of sealing agent between the aluminum on those seams, so heating it up will just cause more problems by wrecking the seal in the area. It's probably the same material that is now failing and allowing leaks to form. I'd go with rebucking the rivets to start with and see where it gets you before you go gooping everything up.

Just to be clear, you mean some tap tap tap on the mushroom side with some heavy flat on the other side to tighten them up?

I use an air hammer with a rivet tool, but you could do the same with a hand hammer, just not sure of how many strikes or how much force it would take.

A lot of the older StarCraft made boats develop that leak in the bow. The best fix is gulvit applied from the inside.
Try to remove as much of the old brown factory sealer first.

weweber3 I just checked out your build post and your boat is almost identical to mine. I don't have the bow cap and my transom is straight but everything else is the same. Leaks in the bow and the stern. I did track down a few suspect rivets, so maybe I will try and give those a tap. That boat was old when we got it in '78. It's currently being handed down from my father to me. I started driving that boat on my own when I was ten. Too many memories just to sell to someone else. Edited to add that my boat is a Starcraft (still has part of the badge, and the stars on the transom corner brackets.)

I just used an 8lb can of Amazing GOOP Coat-it on my 16 foot Fisher Marine jet jon. I had a few leaky rivets and a couple of poorly welded patches leaking and a new beefed up transom. I would highly recommend this product. Boat is now bone dry. Covered about 80-90 sq feet with it. Applied on the outside of hull below waterline.

I had the same thing on my 1959 lonestar i cleaned all the seams and rivets with a wire brush ( brass) and then cleaned the inside really really really good. then put on two thin coats of glovit so far not a leak! it seems to hold up well...

Is a quart of Gluvit enough to cover the rivets and seams on the inside of a 14ft boat? I'm going to need to do this soon and I want to make sure I get enough, but that stuff is expensive.

Gluvit is not uv stable it will need to be covered with something that is uv stable.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Gluvit is not uv stable it will need to be covered with something that is uv stable.
It is very rare that any epoxy-based product can survive UV exposure without being to-coated. FWIW I once spent a goodly amount of $$ cha-ching $$ on alleged UV-proof epoxy ... with disastrous results! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ... still tees me off ...

Although paintable Coat-it is supposed to be fine below the waterline. Time will tell as I didn't paint it.

Latest posts