Question abt removing a seat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anotherhassel

Reaction score
My son and I just purchased an old Aqua Queen 12' v hull. I would like to remove the middle seat. I'm not sure if I can or if I need to add any bracing or whatever. I'm going to try to add a pic or 2 of the boat.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 778
I re did the transom on the boat already as well. The original cast aluminum transom corners were cracked and someone had just thrown a piece of aluminum over top of the cast. So that was all removed as well as the rotten 2x. I fabricated the new corners out of 1/8" aluminum and the new cap over the transom out of 24ga stainless. It's nice to have a sheet metal shop sometimes lol

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 772
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 772
In this post here are my thoughts about removing a seat, which is a prime structural member.

https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=38511

That said, you clearly have capabilities and resources at your disposal, so I'm sure you could add some simple bracing to help reinforce that area. And with a 12' skiff, you're not going to be plowing into waves like I imagine larger hulls would, and from where my concern lies.

You did a nice & clean job one those transom corners!

I took the middle seat out of my lowe v-hull. I did leave some support on the sides and also added some storage. Click on the Lowe link below, there are some pics of the process in there.

Good luck.

The center bench looks to be half of your boats emergency floatation. Be sure to add at least as much new foam else where.

You are correct. It is the only other flotation in the boat. I want to completely remove the seat I would add the foam to the bow of the boat. I would like to be able to walk from the stern seat to the bow seat without the other seat in the way. This boat will be our duck/fishing boat so the more room the better. I will be adding a removable cooler to use as a seat In the middle. Just need to k ow if I have to add any support to that section of the boat. The wood seems to go from gunwale to gunwale but that's it. The wood is "hung" from the top of the boat and supported from underneath. Just dnt want to hurt this old boat by removing all the structure. Thanks for any advice!

Check my Alumacraft build, link in my signature. I removed all bench seats and put the foam back in. No structural problems.

Good start and keep it up.

Ok guys I pulled out the middle seat. Found a hole that was filled with silicone (guess that's where my water was coming from). I have determined that the boat needs some support on the floor as well as for the sides. So I'm off to my shop tomorrow to fab up some bracing. Love the extra room without the seat. Gonna add a removable cooler for a middle seat while fishing and probly remove it all together while hunting. Here is the pic with the seat out.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 675

Latest posts