Coat it over paint?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmar

Reaction score
The PO had painted my tin inside and out. Now it is leaking at seams and rivets more than I am comfortable with. Can I use Gluvit or Coat It directly over the paint or will I need to sand down to bare aluminum? The interior is covered with the flooring I installed and would not be visible. I can easily remove flooring to get to interior.

If paint finish is OK, you can apply directly. Nkw I haven't used Coat It, but if it is truly like Steel-Flex, it will be a LOT thicker than Gluvit is and it may not 'weep' or penetrate as well ...

Either MUST be hidden from sun or over-coated/painted to protect it from UV damage.

bloody leg.jpglevel.jpgshiny 3.jpgepoxy on.jpgI recently did my 16 foot Fisher Marine jon with Coat-it. The instructions specify sanding or otherwise getting down to bare metal(I used a cupped wire brush on a mini grinder.) Then cleaning with Naval Jelly or similar(phosphoric acid) and then applying the Coat-it (after rinsing off the Naval Jelly). I did all this and I couldn't be happier. Boat is watertight. Finish looks like shiny dirty dishwater so it isn't attractive but it is tough. It filled multiple leaky rivets and welds. It is also paintable if you wish but as all mine is below waterline I didn't bother. An 8lb can covered approx 90 sq feet. Don't drop the grinder and wire brush your leg like I did when my thumb got tired!

Latest posts