Jackplate install.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beagler1

Reaction score
Ok im finally getting my jackplate maybee tomorrow.

Is there any tricks on removing motor safely, installing the jackplate (STRAIGHT AND EVEN) and reinstalling motor?

I have a 2016 20 hp merc electric start.

I really dont want to have to mess up and drill more holes then i need.

Any advice?

Thx ahead
-carl

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom

This one. But since its 2 pieces it seems like its going to be a PIA to get it all lined up right.
fcde8d712a7c7deaf1fd2fddeb9c7e39.png

I would make a template from some cardboard/thin wood/etc., and mark all the drill spots on it, then clamp it on the hull, and make sure everything is square and correct. Measure, measure, measure, look at it, think on it some more and measure again. then pick up the drill and go for it. It only hurts once to drill a hole in your hull. GL

So mount it up to the ob first while its hanging, then make a template, then template onto hull then drill?

You have to find the centerline of your transom before you do anything. I see measure measure measure but nobody says how.....

Using the corner of your chines (where the bottom meets the boat side) as points and also the corners of your gunnels as points you can find it easily.
All it takes is a tape and a pencil. Hold the end of your tape at a corner of your chine and come up and strike an arc with your pencil across the transom.
Using the same measurement on the tape do this from the other chine. You will now have your first cross or "X" at or near the top of your transom. Now you need a lower one.
Hold the tape at the corner of your gunnel Tape a straight edge to the side of the boat (if this corner is too rounded) and bring it back to where the end of the tape will grab it. If this does not make sense then take a straght edge and line it up across the transom so that you can draw a horizontal line all the way across the rear of your boat. Use the ends of this line as your points. Do the same thing....strike an arc across the lower part of your transom. Same thing from the other gunnel.
Now you shoould have an upper X and a lower X. Draw a straight line through these Xs from top to bottom and that is your exact centerline of your hull. All measurements can be done from this line.

This should help.

https://www.boatmad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=41926&d=1401659128

Was just thinking. I can use the 2 EXISTING through bolt holes for the top holes. Get them fastened up then drill 2 more bottom holes since the two top holes are holding on the ob now and they are straight and level.. Make sence?

beagler1 said:
Was just thinking. I can use the 2 EXISTING through bolt holes for the top holes. Get them fastened up then drill 2 more bottom holes since the two top holes are holding on the ob now and they are straight and level.. Make sence?

Might work. IF they line up.

Done. Had to raise the motor up like 3" more then origional to get the cav plate even. Is that normal??

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp BottomIMG_4325.JPGIMG_4326.JPGIMG_4327.JPG

Ran perfect! No leaks either! That 15 dollar 3m sealant is worth the money!!

Looks nice.
Depending on the amount of set back you could raise the motor even higher.

Latest posts