Getting my aluminum tracker PT175 hull shiny?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midwestfisher

Reaction score
Folks need help. I have a 2004 Tracker PT175 and prior to getting it the previous owner tried to clean the scum line with an acid based cleaner. So I am trying to get it back to its original look...shiny. How can I get it back. Have tried cleaning and using an aluminum polish but the places where the cleaner really sat are still really dull and have a love for lake scum. HELP

Some where in these forums I remember someone saying that they have used Brillo pads to clean their aluminum boat hull, may give that a try....I have used it on my 92 Tracker and it seemed to work pretty good....not sure about the spots that were acid cleaned if it would do much to help there.

Your boat was never shiny.

Aluminum oxidizes in contact with air (as in oxygen).

Best you will be able to do is even out the surface and, unless you coat it with ?Sharkhide? ($$$$), it will gradually become the gray color you see on unpainted boats.

Click on the link of mine on the Model A Alumacraft to see pictures of a shiny-but-already-oxydizing hull.

Have fun.

I had that exact boat (red paint) and the bare metal was never "shiny", it was new metal when I bought it new, but time and use dulled it . I just used a teflon safe scrub pad to get the majority of the crud off but the water/dirt/scum line never came out completely. Never used any "chemical cleaners" as they may not be safe for any painted metal on the trailer, etc. You can use some aluminum polish if you feel ambitious, but after a couple uses, all your hard work will be hidden by the scum line again.

like with anything - it depends on you, how much time you have,
how much patience you have and a vision of the end result you want to achieve.
then, how much time and patience you have to MAINTAIN the final finish.
and of course, how much $$$$$$ you want to put into the project.
cheapskates will never achieve the Rolls Royce look on a Soda Pop budget.

I met a guy that used SharkHide on his truck aluminum tool box and bed caps
and after two years in the Florida Sunshine, it still had that "new sparkle".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au-GMGcQ2kg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoEtJFzcREs

with a few minutes spent on the Ole YouTube, you can
find the best procedure and products that will work best for you.

Then, of course, is the elbow grease - - - polishing and high-speed buffer.

and the gallery likes to see PHOTOS of your project as you progress.

jus my Dos Centavos

you can get it shiny with polish, will take a lot of time. but as mentioned above you will have to polish every so often to keep that shine. aluminum wheel polish works great.......

Latest posts