2004 Tohatsu 9.8 4 Stroke Smoke?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

63Monark

Reaction score
I just purchased my first outboard motor yesterday and was very excited to play with it when i got home but i had to go to work so this morning i decided to mess with it a bit and when i got it to start and idle smoke began to fill up my entire garage so I shut it off and decided to wait a bit and went back and started it and it ran without any smoke is this normal or is there something serious wrong. Any help or tips is greatly apreciated.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 700
I bought it off craigslist the guy said he bought it at beginning of the year from someone who hardly ever ran it but I don't believe half the stuff people say on craigslist. It didn't smoke yesterday and didn't smoke after it ran for a few minutes.

Was it shipped with oil or with some residual oil still in it? Might be oil intrusion into the cylinder during shipping. Thing is the oil has stopped...a good thing...

Did you pay attention to which side it was laid down on when transporting?? Most 4-strokes have to be laid down on one specific side to prevent the oil from migrating into the cylinders. Is it possible it was on the wrong side for a short time?

I'd drain and replace the oil and run a compression check. If both look good, then let it idle for about 10-15 min on the muffs. I'd make sure to have a backup plan to get back to the dock the first 10-20 min of running on the water.

If the smoke has already gone away, I suspect that during the handling, that some oil may have gotten into the cylinders. If it doesn't continue to smoke, you should be fine.

Good luck!

We'll I took it out to a lake 5 minutes from my house I put the outboard in my truck cab back seat at a 45 degree angle with the tiller handle facing the back seat it smoke for about 10 seconds with the choke all the way out but stopped right away when I pushed the choke all the way in and put it in gear . Is it normal for them to do it just on startup

63Monark said:
Is it normal for them to do it just on startup
Heck YEAH ... on 2-strokes, or if stored wrong on a 4-stroke as the other reply stated. How is the oil? Have you checked the level? Running OK otherwise?

You may want to consider re-breaking it in to ENSURE that the rings were broken in correctly. Or even an abbreviated version, specially the portion where you get it warm, push her up on plane, vary the RPMs every 15-minutes, cruise a bit, limit high speed ops, the drop off plane and push back up onto plane again & repeat.

It is the getting up on plane and applying power that helps set the rings. When 4-strokes first hit the boating world, some were known to 'make oil', where fuel dripped past the rings after shutdown, as the owners 'babied' the motors.

That's what I'd do if it were mine and I was concerned ...

The oil was changed last week according to previous owner I looked at the dipstick and it looks brand new and it's up to the full line

Latest posts