My New Anchor is setting up now........

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 21075

Reaction score
I have no problem with using a can verses a regular anchor. I'm in negotiations with Wal-Mart as far as royalties for advertising their coffee 8)

I'm sure the bottom of a pond is a high-growth market for them & you should do well.

You must have more mud than sand where you are than I do because that would be just about useless for me. I use a 20lb navy anchor with 2' of galvanized chain and even then I'm nervous sometimes.

jethro said:
I use a 20lb navy anchor with 2' of galvanized chain and even then I'm nervous sometimes.
[bWhaaaaaast ... ????? A 20# anchor ... ON A TIN?!?!?!????[/b]

My 'day' anchor for my 25' rigged tuna boat was an 8-pound hi-tensile Danforth that was rated to 32' boats in 40mph winds. Efen then My overnight anchor was a 14-poundversion.

But of course both had an amount of chain equal to the length of the hull, as it is the CATENARY EFFECT of the sentinel weight of the chain to the rode that allows an anchor to 'stick'.

DaleH said:
jethro said:
I use a 20lb navy anchor with 2' of galvanized chain and even then I'm nervous sometimes.
[bWhaaaaaast ... ????? A 20# anchor ... ON A TIN?!?!?!????[/b]

My 'day' anchor for my 25' rigged tuna boat was an 8-pound hi-tensile Danforth that was rated to 32' boats in 40mph winds. Efen then My overnight anchor was a 14-poundversion.

But of course both had an amount of chain equal to the length of the hull, as it is the CATENARY EFFECT of the sentinel weight of the chain to the rode that allows an anchor to 'stick'.

It might be 15lbs instead but it's a heavy thing. Not one of those thin Danforth anchors, it's a fluke style anchor but thick, bulbous and heavy "wings". It's possible a proper Danforth is a better option with sharp "wings" it would bite more into the sand? It came with the boat and the previous owner was the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Police so I don't know. All I know is when I'm anchored on the sandbar on Winnisquam or Sunapee I have to keep checking it or my boat can walk a bit due to all the boat traffic. Yes, it's important to have the length of chain, but I think it's only 2 or 3 feet on my anchor. I may try a normal "flat" Danforth instead.

The longer and heavier the chain, the more likely your anchor will stay laying on its side and digging in. No chain, or a very light, short chain, isn't very effective.

Without the heavy chain, every wave or wind blown drift will tend to pull the anchor from its mooring.

richg99

Latest posts