Need Ideas.. Going from Bass Boat to Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
water bouy said:
So the carpet was originally on top of the aluminum floor? Wonder what gauge al it was.

Not sure the thickness... It looks to be the same thickness as roof flashing... Not very thick at all.

richg99 said:
16 Gauge a penny
18 Gauge a dime
20 Gauge a credit card

Just found this reference on the internet.

richg99

20 gauge (credit card thickness)

I'm still debating on what material to use on the floor.
I really want to use aluminum, would love to have the boat ALL aluminum.
I am going to put foam between the floor "Ribs" Framing. Do you think 16 gauge aluminum would be thick enough if I rivet it to the Ribs.
The original was 20 gauge, but it was bent between the ribs.
I think 16 gauge is .0508" thickness...

richg99 said:
16 Gauge a penny
18 Gauge a dime
20 Gauge a credit card

Just found this reference on the internet.

richg99

I'll let others, more versed in which aluminum gauge would be best ,...answer.

I will say, however, that I added blue foam sheets in the cavities below my flooring. It certainly stiffened everything up great.

richg99

I'm buying a v hull tomorrow and I'm thinking all aluminum floor too. And maybe something other than carpet. With enough stringers the gauge of the floor would not need to be overly heavy?

I'm doing the same thing with 17' bass tracker. Getting close to being done. Used 1/8" aluminum on the floor. To fill in the gaps along the sides I bent some aluminum sheets for fillers. Removed the console,and bought a tiller for my 50 Honda. Completely removed the rear deck,and shortened the front deck 2'. Modified that ugly nose cap,and moved the trolling battery and fuel tank to the front for better balance. The floor is now 12' long,lots of room. I bought hydroturf for the floor to quiet it down and keep it easy to wash slime off of. Took a lil work,but managed to get 14 cu. ft. of foam board stuffed into this build.

Attachments

• 20160405_144855.jpg
    20160405_144855.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,130
  • 20160131_195927.jpg
    20160131_195927.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,130
  • 20160207_135335.jpg
    20160207_135335.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,130
You just made up my mind on what to do.... I'm going aluminum, you boat is a Lot like mine and yours looks Awesome!

Bmac said:
I'm doing the same thing with 17' bass tracker. Getting close to being done. Used 1/8" aluminum on the floor. To fill in the gaps along the sides I bent some aluminum sheets for fillers. Removed the console,and bought a tiller for my 50 Honda. Completely removed the rear deck,and shortened the front deck 2'. Modified that ugly nose cap,and moved the trolling battery and fuel tank to the front for better balance. The floor is now 12' long,lots of room. I bought hydroturf for the floor to quiet it down and keep it easy to wash slime off of. Took a lil work,but managed to get 14 cu. ft. of foam board stuffed into this build.

Latest posts