could use some advice on what to do

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stomper

Reaction score
I have had a 16' Duro Craft boat for some time now that is very deep and wide that I want to modify and turn into a dedicated fishing boat. I cannot find anything on the net about this boat. It's like it was never made. Weird. I've had it for 3 years already and it has only been in the water once. Bought it specificly to build it up. I have done a leak test and things are good. I don't want any wood in it and It will be 100% aluminum when I'm done with it. I want it to be similar to the lund in the below pictures, with rod lockers, live well, casting deck and lots of storage storage. I want to have enough battery storage to run a 24v Ipilot plus another battery for all the other electronics. As far as electrinics goes, It will have depth finder, live well pump, bilge pump, interior lights, some sort of system to listen to music from my phone, and an on board charging system that I just have to plug in at night to charge the batteries. The plan is to remove the middle seat to make a wide open floor. I'm not sure what removing the seat will do for the rigidity of the boat so the plan is to only remove as much of it as I need to get the floor in and the rod lockers. I will then frame it out with aluminum to help get back some of the strength back. I will try to leave the front seat and incorperate it some how for batteries or the livewell, not sure which would be best in that position. As of now, Im fine with the rear seats layout, it's not that bad and can be a spot for some floataion with a bit of storage, unless someone comes up with a better idea. I would realy like to find somehow to hide the standard type boat fuel container so its not out in the open. I have the equipment and the skills to fab up a custom fuel tank if I need, but it would be easier to use a standard one. The wooden transom will be replaced with aluminum. I have a bunch of 2x2x1/8" aluminum angle that I will be using for all the frame work. It will be welded. Floor will be aluminum checker plate, hopeing for something in the .090" mark but I will have to seew hat I can find. Hoping for the floor frame work to be in 12" x 12" squares for lots of support so there isn't any soft spots. Floor and casting deck will be covered with truck bed liner and will probably just paint the rest.
I would love to hear of any ideas that any of you have to help out with this project. I remember a few years back seeing threads on this forum of a member who did custom aluminum boat work, that inspired me to do an all aluminum build. I can't remember who it was but now that my build is getting close I would like to read through some of his builds again.

Don't let the 15hp fool you, thats now on my kids 14 foot misty river. I'll be hunting for at least a 40hp

What I have

What I want

Look at the HIN# on the hull ... what are the 1st 3 digits? You can look that up in the USCG HIN database. Meaning 'Duro Boat' might be the name they are sold under, butmay NOT be the name of the parent company ...

DaleH said:
Look at the HIN# on the hull ... what are the 1st 3 digits? You can look that up in the USCG HIN database. Meaning 'Duro Boat' might be the name they are sold under, butmay NOT be the name of the parent company ...
this helped me out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just my opinion... To put rod lockers etc. in may narrow the boat a lot.

I like wide, open spaces, .. But, I live in TX half of the year , so that is understandable.
richg99

Latest posts