Boat ID request: 12 Foot semi-v

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fajitamondays

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently picked up a new project, and am curious if anyone here can help me ID this boat. It seems to have attributes from various manufacturers from the 1960-1970 era, and I have been unable to pinpoint this one yet. There are no original markings/plates that I can find on this boat.

This information will be helpful when I go in to register this boat, as it is currently unregistered.

Thanks!

8RLBTvf.jpg

KicLXpH.jpg

3OkUH2I.jpg

kQzMFXT.jpg

8baEaSW.jpg

m53gQqw.jpg

PBRMINER said:
Easy One.. It's a Delhi.
Based on the design of the knee brace and transom corner caps I agree.
At some point Delhi was or is owned by StarCraft.

PBRMINER said:
Easy One.. It's a Delhi.

PBRMINER, thank you very much. Seems like it indeed. Not much info online about Delhi boats, so it seems I'll have to live with knowing it was simply made sometime in the 1960-1980 time period. I think the original ID plates for these were riveted to the old transom wood, which is long gone. I look forward to posting a restoration thread soon. Currently in the middle of stripping four layers of troublesome paint.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
PBRMINER said:
Easy One.. It's a Delhi.
Based on the design of the knee brace and transom corner caps I agree.
At some point Delhi was or is owned by StarCraft.

That would explain some of the Starcraft-esque features I was initially seeing in my head. Thanks for the input.

It could be a Wards Sea King. My Sea King jon boat was built by Delhi.

Sure looks like my old Delhi. Here's my first getting-back-to-boats purchase, with some changes. Nice little boat, not for big water and didn't much like chop. Lightweight, moved nicely with the old 3 hp Evinrude down a near-by river, and, as I remember, the 35 lb dog in the front could change our direction by shifting over to the other side.
View attachment 3

12ft right from rear.jpg

12ft in pec side view reflections.jpg

Delhi on pec great skies reflection.jpg

Here's an old report from a guy who worked there that I found somewhere on the internet. I don't have an attribution, but:

Our aluminum boats were the biggest sellers nationally and as I said earlier, their production was continued. We made aluminum boats for Bass Pro Shops, Bass Tracker, Sears, Montgomery Wards, and several other companies. Our aluminum boats were amongst the best "store chainline" boats ever built. The aluminum we used was thicker than anyone else's. As in our high end glass boats quality was our goal. In the glass boats we did things like put an .004 thick extra coat of clear gel to protect the paint and metal flake from UHV (fading), small scratches, and make the boat easier to clean and keep clean. We were very proud of our hatch and live well door hinges. If you noticed, they were chrome plated and held in place by bolts with self locking nuts. Ranger, and the rest used those cheap, stamped "piano" hinges that were hard to tighten and harder to replace. We used a better grade of pumps in our live wells and bilges, and much more. We even sprayed over the exposed fiberglass in the fuel compartment with clear gel.

However, we continued manufacturing aluminum boats and put other company's names on them. For instance, Bass Tracker, Sears, and several others.

I left the company. It was a real shame, but 35% of America's boat mfg. companies went out of business over that 2 year period. When Terry/Delhi cut back it wiped out the little town of Delhi, La., pop. about 1700, many of which were employed at our plant.

Have fun, be safe.

Attachments

• 12 ft   right side with 3hp.jpg
    12 ft right side with 3hp.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 2,573
I read that guys post he worked for the Terry Bass Boat Division. very interesting post on the industry back then I'll see if I could find the link.

Latest posts