what size trolling motor so you have?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 48 lb power drive for my 14ft

its more than enough power but thats fine, I hardly drain the battery at all

as far as power drive, cable steer, bowmount etc it all depends on your style of fishing

I love the power drive since it has variable speed control and I dont use the pedal with my foot, I just set it on the bench next to my sonar and control it by hand.

But I dont stand and cast or jig, I just sit in my seat and use it for trolling or boat positioning.

works great for me

here is a pic, as per your request

Attachments

• 20160612_084822.jpg
    20160612_084822.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 739
  • 20160612_083626.jpg
    20160612_083626.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 739
Thanks for all the input guys. The pics look great. Im realizing that it is the shaft lenth
that makes my motorguide look huge on my boat. in other words, Im seeing your bow mount motors and they dont look no where big as mine. Thise pics really came in handy.

greenheron said:
Thanks for all the input guys. The pics look great. Im realizing that it is the shaft lenth
that makes my motorguide look huge on my boat. in other words, Im seeing your bow mount motors and they dont look no where big as mine. Thise pics really came in handy.

Mine started out as a 48" then I cut about 8" off the shaft.

greenheron said:
Onthewater102: your boat is very similar to what I have boat wise and the trollong motor looks perfect

FWIW my boat is a 1436, I have the TM on the same side as the side console, with the battery and gas tank on the opposite side, but it is a bit heavy to the TM side as it sits in the water without me in it which is perfect because I step into it on the opposite side & even it out. Visibility off the front isn't an issue with such small boats, on a bigger bass boat with more distance from the helm to the bow it might create a restriction, but on the little tinny it's a non-issue.

The Terrova is one of the powered steering options offered by MinnKota, before it I had an Edge with its longer footprint but it really made little difference. The edge style mount does pull the TM a bit further into the boat, but on such small boats you've lost the use of the space on that side regardless of what motor style you go with. That's why I have my rod storage setup underneath the TM, it keeps the other side of the boat open to foot traffic. In doing this I mounted the TM to a plate that attaches to the top of the gunwales which provides more space underneath for the rod tips - however, it makes it so my bow light post isn't tall enough to be seen over the TM from the right & I have to switch to corner marker lights...trade-offs every way you go on these little boats.

Just fine - it'll do 2.5mph on its highest speed setting. I used to have it on my 18' fiberglass boat & it handled that no problem.

I have a Minn Kota RipTide 55lbs on my Alumacraft 1436, it's transom mounted. I think it does well when I use it.I have a small Mercury outboard with all controls in front of my seat to the left. My battery and solar charger is mounted on an aluminum frame I put up front. ( Makes a good deck to Bowfish from.

27lb minn kota transom on a 14ft mirrorcraft deep fisherman. For lakes it works just fine for me. If wind picks up speeds 1 and 2 are pointless. Same goes for rivers. Some day I'll up grade to a 45 or 55 but for now it suits me just fine.