Transom "cover" or "rail" - rebuild, replace, fix?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weweber3

Reaction score
This is a piece of aluminum that encapsulates the wood transom as well as the rear of the aluminum hull. It is secure with nails.

It is split in two pieces as also has holes and significant damage.

What recommendations do you guys have to fix/replace this?

Attachments

• transom (1).jpg
    transom (1).jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,256
  • transom (2).jpg
    transom (2).jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,256
  • transom (3).jpg
    transom (3).jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,256
With that bow in it & the fact that it's secured by nails it's definitely not structural - it's just a cosmetic trim cap so the edge of your wood transom isn't exposed. That's the kind of thing you can probably fix well with those brazing rods.

If the transom wood is sound Tig or Mig welding would be best or a good place to try those aluminum welding/repair rods. After practicing and some scrap.

I am process of re-doing the whole boat, transom wood will be new.

Considering it is not structural, can I fabricate SOMETHING metal, wood, etc to protect the transom wood and stern? Even if the bend isn't perfect, I would expect that as long as the cover sit flush on the transom where the motor mounts it would be ok?

Thoughts?

I had considered plastic or rubber trim, but I couldn't find anything wide enough, as my transom core was a full 1-1/2" thick, and adding the 0.090" thick tin skins on each side means I would have needed something to fit over 1-11/16" wide to the ID and no such beast be made available ...

If you don't need it quite that thick - you might be able to find something! It's really only a trim piece.

I cant find anything to replace this with either... my boat never had a cap but I had to do glass repair and i painted it but its not a good match so I wanted to cover up the ugliness lol

Got a PM about the brazing rods, watched some youtube vids, that'll be the route I go. Seems like a good option and will work well. Thanks everyone, wonderful site, wonderful input.

Latest posts