OB Water pressure PSI vs RPMs Chart

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleH

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Added a water pressure gauge, as I like an instant readout on the impeller and cooling performance. Turns out that I "missed" a few RPMs in the range whilst taking the picture, but otherwise the comparison of water pressure PSI vs RPMs plotted pretty much dead nuts on straight line using an Excel linear progression.

Just a few sample picture shown, not all taken. Those in blue text on the chart are confirmed values, vs the red ones that were plotted by the linear progression.

Attachments

• Water PSI vs RPMs Chart.JPG
    Water PSI vs RPMs Chart.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 587
  • Water PSI at 5000 RPMs.JPG
    Water PSI at 5000 RPMs.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 587
  • Water PSI at 2000 RPMs.JPG
    Water PSI at 2000 RPMs.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 587
  • Water PSI at 1200 RPMs.JPG
    Water PSI at 1200 RPMs.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 587
Do you need to tap the powerhead to install one of those or can you put it in-line with the tell line?

The ones I've seen have had a "T" fitting instead of the standard right angle fitting on the tell tale. I'm sure you could tee into the tell tale line but you're pressure readings are likely going to be lower, possibly even negative due to venturi action.

It will depend on what the size of your tell tale hose vs the size of tell tale discharge opening. If you have a tell tale fitting with a small hole, you should be able to get reasonably accurate readings. If your tell tale is simply the telltale hose routed through the housing, then your pressure readings would be very low.

Looks like it is staying in displacement mode all the way given the straight line. The manual for my omc15 says as pressure increases it goes into centrifugal mode. Interesting...I wonder how the thermostat might affect the curve...

Latest posts