Rivet size

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beagler1

Reaction score
Ok im finally extending my casting decks. Doing it out of 1"x2" rectangle stock. 1/8" thick wall.

My question is.. What size and kind of rivets to use to rivet 2 pieces of of 1/8" together?

Thx!

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom

I'd use a 3/16" diameter with 1/4" grip range all aluminum rivet.

Thank you! Thats what ill look for. I know home depot sells dewalt rivet gins and rivets.

I got a cheapo rivet gun but sometimes the rivets arent super tight. Think i better gun will be better

I have the long handled one from Harbor freight. It can do up to 1/4" rivets.

Long handled one? Do you have a link to what it looks like? Thank you!!!

Go to www.harborfreight.com and search for "rivet" or "66422"
It's the 17.5" Heavy duty riveter.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
I'd use a 3/16" diameter with 1/4" grip range all aluminum rivet.
so you mean these?

f5b6b7b94b69b1dc162427f0c6d8709f.png

Attachments

• IMG_4439.PNG
    IMG_4439.PNG
    668 bytes · Views: 1,320
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Go to https://www.harborfreight.com and search for "rivet" or "66422"
It's the 17.5" Heavy duty riveter.

Ok i see!
42ed17ada3fa0c0491e71be18a8cd539.png

The tool is right but the rivets with a 9/32" to 23/64" grip range is too long.
I get my rivets a Menards.

No exact number.
The two 1/8" pieces of aluminum your joining equal 1/4" or .250, you want a rivet that has .250 or 1/4" somewhere in it's grip range.

Awesome! Thank you!! My aluminum should be in tomorrow so ill get er started!!

I didn't have good luck with those off the shelf rivets with the aluminum mandrels - they often snap before they really pull tight. I ordered aluminum rivets with steel mandrels and found them to be much easier to get tight. I believe the steel mandrels were also thinner than the aluminum for the same size (3/16) rivet, though I don't know if that resulted in thicker aluminum walls in the rivets or not.

https://rivetsonline.com/rivets-en/blind-rivets-en/blind-rivets/aluminum-rivet-w-steel-mandrel.html

Also at every location you are going to put one rivet put 2 it will keep the 2 pieces of aluminum from pivoting around the one rivet.

I needed to pop two 1/4 inch diameter rivets recently and I bought that same gun with a 20 percent coupon. Works great........Good tool to own if your a tin boater.

Latest posts