Seats on a canoe, bad idea?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I recently got a 17ft aluminum canoe and after taking it out for an hr or so my butt was numb and uncomfortable. I have some boat swivel seat seats that I was thinking about mounting to the canoe seats, would this be a bad idea? I couldnt find any pics on Google of anyone doing it to an aluminum canoe, and I was mainly worried about the raised center of gravity. But at most I will be sitting 4 to 6" higher. Do you guys think it will work out ok?

Attachments

• 20160718_194204.jpg
    20160718_194204.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 714
It's been awhile for me, but the actual swivel seats available always took up too much room to really swivel side-to-side in the canoe. I was most often looking for lower back support, and I know there are several options out there, including a "sling back" cushion that hooked on the front of the seat and allowed the person to lean back into it. I didn't find them all that comfortable.

The most practicable option for extended cruising for me was just a plain old boat cushion.

Raising your center of gravity in a tippy boat is rarely a good idea, but some canoes are quite wide and may still be fairly stable.

The light-weight "racing" canoes have butt-holding seats, curved to fit your bottom. You can often find these sold separately. They are not cushioned, however.

If you paddle alone, consider sitting in the front seat, facing the stern. This gives you more stability and control, you are less likely to have the bow swing, or become a sail when the winds pick up.

Be safe, have fun.

That depends on how tippy it is. If it was pretty stable when you took it out while sitting in the seat you may be able to raise the height a little. If it was precarious trying to keep it from tipping over, no. The higher you go the more it will want to tip. You may have to experiment with it to get it to your liking. It just takes trial and error.

I bought a 12' canoe over thirty years ago from Sears without ever having been in one before and I had to take the seats out because it would tip over in instant at the slightest little wave or ripple. You have to paddle kneeling down to keep it upright. I still have it and I am pretty much an expert now at keeping the right side up but I still do not think I could put seats in it. I even fish for big catfish out of it now and have no problems.

Might consider one of those "butt" seats bass guys use on the tall seat posts, they look similar to a wide bicycle seat.

https://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_3060987_-1?count=2&cm_mmc=pla-_-Boating+Marine+Boating+Essentials+Boat+Seats+Butt+Seats-_-Google-_-Marine+Raider+Pro+Boat+Seat&sku=102614311&gclid=CJ3T24vTqM4CFVg9gQodaV4IfA&kwid=productads-adid%5E69707526558-device%5Ec-plaid%5E241146439518-sku%5E102614311-adType%5EPLA

Just a suggestion, you would probably have to install a post plate in the original seat, or figure out a way to keep it from moving too much on you while paddling, etc.

The canoe is 17ft long and when I took it out last weekend I thought it was pretty stable. I weight 320lbs and my friend weighs 260lbs, he stood up multiple times to stretch. But I went ahead and mounted the seats and plan to take it out tomorrow afternoon. I will report back on the stability.

Attachments

• 20160804_185449.jpg
    20160804_185449.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 651
  • 20160804_185533.jpg
    20160804_185533.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 651
Kismet said:
It's been awhile for me, but the actual swivel seats available always took up too much room to really swivel side-to-side in the canoe. I was most often looking for lower back support, and I know there are several options out there, including a "sling back" cushion that hooked on the front of the seat and allowed the person to lean back into it. I didn't find them all that comfortable.

The most practicable option for extended cruising for me was just a plain old boat cushion.

Raising your center of gravity in a tippy boat is rarely a good idea, but some canoes are quite wide and may still be fairly stable.

The light-weight "racing" canoes have butt-holding seats, curved to fit your bottom. You can often find these sold separately. They are not cushioned, however.

If you paddle alone, consider sitting in the front seat, facing the stern. This gives you more stability and control, you are less likely to have the bow swing, or become a sail when the winds pick up.

Be safe, have fun.

I mainly put the swivel seats in because I had them on hand and they are comfy. Hope they live up to it lol.

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
Take your cell phone and wallet out of your pocket. lol ;-)

Yea lol, I got a dry bag and plan to wear my life vest.

Went out for about 3 or 4 hrs and my butt was compy. It was a little more tipsy but not much, out riggers would be appreciated though lol.

Attachments

• 20160805_183851.jpg
    20160805_183851.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 581
I have boat seats in my 17' Coleman. I took the original seats out and fabricated some new braces that lowered the seats to keep the center of gravity low. Makes a huge difference

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

That's two big guys in one canoe.

Everything said here is true. The higher you go, the less stable you will be. Period.

My prior experiences with canoes were always fairly positive, other than the canoe catching the wind just when I was trying cast into some fishy looking spot.

Except when I had another person in the canoe with me. Then, it was "trouble city". They'd lean Left, and I'd try to counter their moving weight..and the d$#@% would rock back and forth. We never flipped it, but we sure caused my blood pressure to rise a lot.

Not for me, but, I am old and clumsy. I'll stick to SOT kayaks, thank you.. richg99

Latest posts