25 hp Evinrude tiller electric

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

water bouy

Reaction score
Short shaft, born in 1979. I bought it knowing it needed work. It needs a steering bracket and then I found out the skeg has issues which means water probably got inside. I'm tempted to part it out rather than sink money into it. I was under the impression Evinrudes were good motors but a mechanic told me they like to slip out of gear if bushings are worn and you can't tell until you put it on boat and take it to a lake. I'm in NC if anyone is interested in it.

Starting in 1978 the gearcases on those were re-designed a bit and they became pretty darned good gearcases.
As far as you thinking Evinrude was a pretty good engine you have to realize that engine is almost 40 years old !!
All depends on how the engine was maintained. I am still running Evinrudes from back in the 1930's and 40's and
run the heck out of my 50s engines so I guess they can walk the walk and talk the talk. I also have had plenty of
late 70's engines that were great. You pretty much get what you pay for and it is a buyer beware market. From the sound of it
you didn't do your homework too well on that one.

It wasn't one of my best ideas, for sure. He said he was reluctant to work on it because a lot of the time they start slipping again. I've had other Evinrudes and never heard of that problem. I bought a factory manual for it which is excellent so I may try to tackle it myself one of these days.

I'm running a 74, been good so far after doing a decent rebuild of the electrical and fuel system.

I'd keep it and try to get it running yourself. Make it a budget project.

Latest posts