Are all portable fuel tanks crap now?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmk0002

Reaction score
My 6 gallon tank finally began to crack after years of sun exposure. I've been looking online at 3 and 6 gallon tanks from Attwood, Moeller, etc and all sold now are the new EPA compliant ones that "self vent", and have terrible reviews. What's the best route to take? Try to find some new old stock tanks from before they created these regulations or buy a new one and install a manual vent or buy a new vented cap?

I purchased a new EPA tank with no vent and tried a couple of solutions but eventually gave up. Now I just open the cap slightly and vent the tank.

Save the cap from your old tank.
I've been lucky at finding older style 12 gallon tanks on CL for cheap.

Appreciate it guys. I have been keeping an eye out on Craigslist too. I will also definitely save my old cap too, since it has the manual vent and is in good shape.

These EPA compliant tanks and gas jugs are totally worthless, and in fact, I spill more with them than I ever did with the old style because they are so slow and hard to use. Is there a black market for the old style lol?

wmk0002 said:
Appreciate it guys. I have been keeping an eye out on Craigslist too. I will also definitely save my old cap too, since it has the manual vent and is in good shape.

These EPA compliant tanks and gas jugs are totally worthless, and in fact, I spill more with them than I ever did with the old style because they are so slow and hard to use. Is there a black market for the old style lol?

I agree totally, they are harder to use and you spill more fuel with the lousy vent-less spouts.

Not only boat gas tanks, but all of the new EPA complaint fuel tanks are total POS if you know what I mean. The design of these tanks is terrible, they spill fuel, don't work properly. I am always looking for the older plastic tanks at garage sales and the like and I even gather up the caps on broken ones I find for the others that inevitability have missing caps.

I also drill a vent hole if necessary and install a golf tee to plug it up.

I have no idea what the government was thinking here, but I wish they would stop helping me!

DaleH said:
gr8fullfred said:
... have no idea what the government was thinking here, but I wish they would stop helping me!
... wait until Billary helps :shock: you out ... like when she takes your guns away #-o

The govt didn't build the tanks goofballs, if the private side could build a decent tank that met fed regulations we'd be fine.

I have a Cabela's 5 minutes from my office so I swung by over lunch. I ended up grabbing a 3 gallon Attwood tank that had a built in gauge for $50. I previously had a 6 gallon but it was overkill for my 9.9/15 hp motors. I think my old one was also Attwood so hopefully the old vent cap will fit. If not I will make my own vent.

FWIW, and I just remembered this, but instead of installing one of those little yellow pop vents you can instead use a valve stem and remove the core pop it into a drilled hole. Just keep track of the cap.

My local Menards sells a replacement spout and new vent kit for $5.00. It's intended to refurbish an old gas can but can be used to modify a new gas can.
Just drill a 1/2" hole in the upper rear of a new gas can pop the vent in and your all set.

I've used and sold most of the major brands and the only one worth buying is the Yamaha tank. OEM manufactured one. They are expensive. Their fuel lines are also top notch. I have a 3 gal tank that I'm absolutely tickled with. The fuel line is one of those old "recalled" fuel lines, exactly the same as the newer ones as far as material, flexible....sun doesn't fade them, fuel doesn't affect them much (that I can tell) and most importantly the primer bulb stays soft...can't tell you how many of the old lines I've messed with that are so hard you cant squeeze them!

I have not use any of the other OE tanks, they might just be as good as or better than the Yamaha...I just haven't used one (yet).

Ictalurus said:
DaleH said:
gr8fullfred said:
... have no idea what the government was thinking here, but I wish they would stop helping me!
... wait until Billary helps :shock: you out ... like when she takes your guns away #-o

The govt didn't build the tanks goofballs, if the private side could build a decent tank that met fed regulations we'd be fine.
Of course the government didn't build the tanks but they regulate the manufacturers on how they build them and that's the problem. I purchased a new Yamaha tank. I feel the quality is higher than the generic over the counter Walmart tanks but it still has the EPA regulated non venting cap.

Guess I am confused (what's new)???

Are we talking FUEL tanks that reside on a boat?? or....are we talking portable fuel can/canisters/tanks that we use to fill our boat's fuel tanks?

I have NO experience with the new fuel cans (as I call them).

I do have experience with a new fuel TANK that stays on my boat. I added the specified fuel demand valve ( https://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/portable-fuel/fuel-demand-valve ) and I have had no issues since installation.

Now, the tank stays blown up like a balloon, and takes up an extra inch of space...but..it works just fine.

??? richg99

The original post is about new EPA gas tanks on our boats. The thread has drifted a little to include new EPA gas cans for mowers ect ect.

Ictalurus said:
DaleH said:
gr8fullfred said:

Maybe not but, they set the mandatory guidelines on how tanks and fuel lines must vent and how much can permeate through into the atmosphere. The changes cost all of us millions and millions to re-design and produce. Consumers now pay a ton more as well.....for less than adequate products. And all of these guidelines for an industry that uses way less than 1/10 of 1% of the total fuel used in the US. That's your Government at work for you. This next election can change your life....choose wisely!
Can they build an adequate tank? You bet they can....but you wouldn't want to pay what it would cost to do it.

Latest posts