Adding a rail system

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Givey1982

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased an aftermarket rail system or designed their own system to be added to a boat. I know Crestliner and Tracker have them on some biats now and as I rebuild mine I am considering adding one if possible.

Thanks in advance

sort of reminds me of yakattack gear tracks. Look it up, you can buy rail section to mount to kayaks. I don't see why it couldn't be added to boats, as I've considered it for things like rodholders and such.

derekdiruz said:
sort of reminds me of yakattack gear tracks. Look it up, you can buy rail section to mount to kayaks. I don't see why it couldn't be added to boats, as I've considered it for things like rodholders and such.

That is the idea. Thanks a lot. I am hoping to find something about 6' long to place on both sides of the boat but that is the right direction.

Look up "T-Track", which is used to make jigs and such for the home hobby/wood working industry. The tracks accept 1/4" bolt heads or special T-nuts. Available in various lengths, available in gold and blue from what I've seen.

I'm looking into this myself as a cheaper 'DIY' install on a kayak, to copy that concept of the pricey Yak-Attack stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I6LW1W/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687442&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002L6M0ZO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=9P59NG7Q0ZVX2BXEDDS3

Attachments

• T-Track.jpg
    T-Track.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 665
I bought some track that was similar. It worked well.

Believe it or not, brass toilet bolts fit into the tracks.

Now, "brass toilet bolts" aren't really BRASS. They are, at best, brass coated.

Also, I had to grind a bit off of either the toilet bolts and/or off of some stainless 1/4 bolts that I tried to use. The difference in making the bolts the right size to easily slide was minimal, but I would guess that the track (that I bought ) was closer to a metric measurement than to a true 1/4 / 20 bolt.

richg99

Latest posts