Lower unit damage

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunterguy86

Reaction score
Well i hit a rock and damaged my lower unit. Any ideas on temporary repairs unit I can source a new lower unit?

This is on an 89 Johnson 50.

See the pictures below.

3008341a1e360e66d5e281cc478ba4d6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, you sure did whack that thing. How did the prop ever survive?

Do you think that the internal gears are busted, or is it just the outer shell that was destroyed?

I'd guess, if the gears are still all OK, you could putt putt around, but without the anticav. plate, I doubt if you can get up to much speed.

Imagine it would be a lot easier to find a LU shell... than find a working LU.

Sorry, I have no real help or suggestion. Ouch, that must have some kind of hit.

richg99

Prop was trashed. I've already replaced it. The gears felt fine in the lower unit. I ran the boat this morning and it ran fine. It handled like there was no damage at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, sounds like you are one lucky fellow.

You might try the Antique Outboard guys. They, at least, would have an idea where you can get an older LU. richg99

https://www.aomci.org/

Layer on the JB Weld, allow 24 hours between applications, shape when cured. Keep building it up and it will be as good as new, no need to change out. When you have the shape complete give it a shot of spray paint. Save BIG $

Keep watching CL, there may be one on there that's reasonable, not just under boats, but also under boat parts.
Couple years ago I purchased almost a complete 100hp Mariner off CL for cheap, and used the powerhead to replace my blown one. Way, way, way cheaper than a new one.

Unfortunately that's a tough lower unit to find. In 89, the lowers on the 40 and 50 changed, and then changed again in 92. So you're looking for a lower unit from 89-91 for a 40 or 50hp. I got lucky a few years back and found a complete motor with a blown head and was able to use the lower because mine was bad.

There's a housing here on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OMC-40-48-50-HP-GEAR-CASE-HOUSING-/191925549149?_trksid=p2352135.m2548.l4275

but I'm a little suspicious, as listing says it's good for a motor from '89-'03. The parts listing on Boats.net show that the housing was changed in '92, but sometimes it can be something that does not affect the fit at all.

Best of luck in your search!

Latest posts