Upgrading from 25hp 2-Stroke to 4-Stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember it takes very little to move a flat bottom jon boat so the 20 or 25hp will make it scream.

Most aluminum hulls have a LOT more drag that most people think. The ribs on the bottom are designed to help "stick" it to the water. That said, there are about 4 or 5 (that I know of) manufacturers that build "performance" aluminum hulls, built to handle decent and run faster than most ordinary aluminum boats.

Guy here at work went from a 115hp 2 stroke to a brand new 140 hp Suzuki 4 stroke on his 18-20 ft bay boat and lost top end speed (2mph) and hole shot performance. He's still working on propping it, but hasn't had much luck.

scoobeb said:
Yes,16ft.I have had some really great success with outboards being so powerful.I now have a 1993 20hp 2stroke mercury that has insane power also.It runs 30.7mph with just me in the boat with a 13 pitch prop.The 20hp suzuki has incredible power also for it's size and only 97lbs which is impressive but it is a big difference from the 25hp suzuki.I have had both and they both ran i mean like beasts for their size.If you went with a 20hp suzuki you would not be losing to much over the 25hp you have now,maybe a couple mph but think of how much fuel you will save and oil.They both i mean sip gas.

Right on, I think I'll end up with the 25hp. Currently I have a 16' Jon boat with a 97 25hp Evinrude and it will push about 30mph. I just want to stay where I'm at, I didn't want to buy a new motor then end up slower. The motor is a champ really, not sure what prop is on there but I'm sure it's dinged up and whatnot.

Only reason I'm really looking to change is my dad wants a newer 4-stroke to be quieter and less smokey lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts