Small Motor for aluminum Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltybob

Reaction score
I bought a 1442 Alumacraft flat bottom jon boat. (1442 means its 14 feet long and 42 inches wide.) I plan to fish mostly in calm waters near home and not travel very far.

I’d like to buy an outboard motor that is small, light and easy to handle, but powerful enough to plane the boat. I fish by myself. I weigh 180 lbs., the boat weighs 230 lbs., and I carry only a 3 gallon portable gas tank and fishing gear.

I’ve looked at the 9.8 to 10 HP 4 stroke motors. They weigh over 80 lbs., but I'd much prefer a considerably smaller, lighter motor. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

If you don't mind running a 2 stroke an older Johnson / Evinrude 9.9-15 hp would be a perfect motor for your 1442.

If you prefer 4 stroke I would suggest looking at a Tohastsu 6hp. It's a light weight single cylinder. Available with internal or external fuel tank. It has an optional charging system, however I don't think electric start is available. Honestly, never used one but I know they are very popular in the sailboat world and highly regarded.

I fish horsepower retricted lakes (10hp) and have been seriously considering the Tohastsu for a 14 ft Jon or Gheenoe. Much easier to haul around a 60 pound motor by myself. Plus speed isn't an issue for me....never in a hurry when out on the lake.

Fadec said:
If you don't mind running a 2 stroke an older Johnson / Evinrude 9.9-15 hp would be a perfect motor for your 1442.

If you prefer 4 stroke I would suggest looking at a Tohastsu 6hp. It's a light weight single cylinder. Available with internal or external fuel tank. It has an optional charging system, however I don't think electric start is available. Honestly, never used one but I know they are very popular in the sailboat world and highly regarded.

I fish horsepower retricted lakes (10hp) and have been seriously considering the Tohastsu for a 14 ft Jon or Gheenoe. Much easier to haul around a 60 pound motor by myself. Plus speed isn't an issue for me....never in a hurry when out on the lake.

I second these motors. They are only about 70 lbs and there are lots of parts still available as well as most parts being universal between a broad range of years.

An old 9.5hp Sportwin may be a good option too. They are only 60 lbs and pack a good punch.

I second the old johnson 9.5 sportwin. I have one as a second motor. It is almost as strong as my 15hp evinrude. Pushes my 14ft around like a gorilla.

You can get a mid seventies johnson/evinrude 25, they weigh about 80 pounds.