Evinrude 70773S: What is this part?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acolic

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a new boat that has an Evinrude 1970 7077S3 70HP 2 stroke motor.

While I'm searching for a manual perhaps someone can tell me what this part does and what each position 1-12 indicates.

Thanks for the help,

Alex

Attachments

• IMG_20160805_202626.jpg
    IMG_20160805_202626.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 632
Based on your model number, that should be a 1977 70hp Johnson motor. Johnson didn't make a 70hp in 1970. That part is your power pack. It takes the charge from the alternator and takes the timing from the timer base and sends a electrical charge to the coil at the correct time for ignition of each cylinder.

Basic rundown of positions

1) Output to cylinder 1 coil
2) Output to cylinder 2 coil
3) Output to cylinder 3 coil
4) Connection to Stator
5) Connection to Stator
6) Kill wire from ignition (grounding this wire stops output to coils)
7)
8 ) Input from Timer base Position #1 (triggers Output to coil #1)
9) Input from Timer base Position #2 (triggers Output to coil #2)
10) Input from Timer base Position #3 (triggers Output to coil #3)
11) Connection from Timer base
12) Ground

Good luck!

Thanks a lot,

if I was wiring a voltmeter from the dash to the motor would I wire the positive to pin 6?

That way the voltmeter only works while the engine is on?

Thanks for the help,

Alex

Don't wire it to #6, you'd never get your engine to start :) You wouldn't want to use any of the connections on your power pack for the voltmeter, none would give you an accurate battery voltage.

To use a volt meter the way you describe, you should attach the positive to the switched power from your ignition switch. This is the purple wire coming off of the big red plug. This one will have no power when your ignition is switched off.

You'll have to decide if it's easier to access this directly at the switch, or run it back from the motor.

Good luck!

Thanks,

are there any other connection on the motor that should have a gauge run to it for monitoring purposes?

Tachometer, water pressure gauge? etc?

While I'm rewiring the electrical I'd rather do it once.

Thanks for the help,

Alex

Latest posts