First time boat owner - 1236 Alumacraft Jon -

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slizzy

Reaction score
Hi all!

New guy to the site, and tin boats... Been fishing my whole life on the rivers and in inflatable float tubes and pontoons.

Going to the city Saturday to buy a 1236 Alumacraft !! :LOL2:

planning to get a 50lb minn kota endura MAX for starts... wanting to find a used 5 - 7 hp outboard soon.

scotty anchor locks fore and aft ... ( terminology?) lol ... 15lb pyramid anchors

planning to get a seat... dunno what else really... build floors ... beer holder...

bought a rack for my truck so I can pack camping gear and haul *** to the lake with the lady!!

super excited. can't sleep... ill post pictures when I get my baby

I have a 1436 and wish it were a wider one but was what I could get for now and am enjoying it. You can't always get what you want. Get what you can and enjoy it. Be sure to post pics when you get her :beer:

Good luck with the purchase. Any boat you get will bring joy, tears, pain, and more joy. Learn from it, and please post pics. We'd all love to see you smiling face with the new toy, or baby, or whatever you call it...

image.jpeg

Been too busy to do much more than stick the boat on my rack...

Need to install the Scotty anchor locks and seat mounts.

I've never done any work to a boat before I'm kinda nervous

Welcome aboard, Slizzy - - - -
at least you have the #1 issue solved.
transportation to and from the water.

This is my standard advice to ALL novice boaters:
for the first 6 months, don't venture any further from shore
than you can swim.
check your state laws for the safety equipment you must carry.
stock your boat with MORE than you need to survive - not just the minimums.
be safe - have fun - and GOOD LUCK !!

Cheers thanks for the advice !!

This is strictly a fishing boat, for small lakes and calm water ... If it's too windy I'm not fishing ...

I haven't even put her in the water yet, been far too busy...

This is all so new too me .. Setting up the oar collars and all... I guess I'll have to go float it and find out where I will want the collars to be?

I have seats and swivel mounts I want to install as well... Just not sure on the type of screws I should use to anchor the mount firmly without wearing loose over time

And is it normal for a brand new jon boat to have minor imperfections in the hull ? Like some bends and bumps or dents ? I understand the boat would have been moved a fair bit before I bought it ... The dealer said guys like to really examine the boat they will be choosing ... I kinda just looked it over quick and said looks good to me , lol

I wouldn't worry about imperfections. Even the brand new bass trackers in front of bass pro have them.

Congrats on the new boat, if you fish small rivers a lot your little boat might allow you to continue and have access to some skinny water a bigger boat may not.

Have fun modifying it! :p

1/4"-20 SS bolts with nylon nuts and washers will be sourced for the anchor lock mounts ...

need to man up and drill some holes in the boat... kinda scared not gunna lie :shock:

got all my fasteners and mounts in place.. going to start drilling soon.. ill post pictures

hopefully all goes well... never done much of this type of work before so its all a learning experience

image.jpeg

Installed 2x Scotty anchor locks - flush mount on stern corner brace & side mount on front bow/gunnel side

Installed 2x wise high density seats w/ swivel and quick release clamp - installed with rivnuts w/ multiple mounting options - center both seats & offset & rear has one more offset position to compensate for tiller

Unused rivnut holes are filled with a bolt, dipped in grease to prevent corrosion and seizing.

Using 2x 15lb pyramid anchors on safety clips and 3/8" double braided rope

Only have a 50lb endura maxx trolling motor, looking for a used 7hp outboard .

Planning to build floors next outta coloplast foam & carpet

Cheers

Yes I do. That and a 14' Starcraft Sea Scamp (family's boat).

The 1236 is mine though and the one I use the most.

Looks good! Simple and efficient. I like it.

On my last build I used carpet and I didn't care for it. It was hard to keep clean and hooks kept getting caught in it when I laid down the rods.

I'd look at hydroturf or other similar product.

On my current boat, everything is aluminum (factory built) and the floor is painted exterior plywood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boat looks great!! Looking at academy sports now here in MS boat $618 before taxes!! I have a 1032 and can't enjoy its tooooooo narrow!!

Latest posts