Rivet size

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ready to rock! Now just gotta get time to start this project!

IMG_4498.JPG
83edc9d47248f9f13e2b2b4ca4a65276.jpg

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom

Got enough drill bits????

Those are the aluminum/aluminum rivets I was speaking of earlier.

I find that by "sneaking up on the torque" (actually breaking point) on those aluminum body/aluminum mandrel rivets, rather than setting them FAST ... that one can get them pretty darn tight. They do not replace solid rivets by any means, but should be fine for sub-structure installs. FYI, on that Aircraft Spruce website, there's some guidance on the number of rivets per inch to hold the material used as needed for the designed sheer stress rating.

onthewater102 said:
Got enough drill bits????

Those are the aluminum/aluminum rivets I was speaking of earlier.
yup got the rivets from tractor supply!! Figure if i break a drill bit id be pissed to go buy one cause i live in the woods and have to "travel into town" just to get anything lol.

Then if i break that many bits i rekon ill be pretty pissed off lol

DaleH said:
I find that by "sneaking up on the torque" (actually breaking point) on those aluminum body/aluminum mandrel rivets, rather than setting them FAST ... that one can get them pretty darn tight. They do not replace solid rivets by any means, but should be fine for sub-structure installs. FYI, on that Aircraft Spruce website, there's some guidance on the number of rivets per inch to hold the material used as needed for the designed sheer stress rating.

You mean going nice and slow before it pops?

I was using the squeeze riveter - not the two handed tool, perhaps that influenced my results.

I seem to get the best results when I tighten the rivet just snug first, then open the gun and re-grip for the final slow pull. Don't be in a hurry. Going slow helps get them tight as possible.

Shaugh said:
I seem to get the best results when I tighten the rivet just snug first, then open the gun and re-grip for the final slow pull. Don't be in a hurry. Going slow helps get them tight as possible.
THIS ... snug, then re-gripping or 'choking up on it' a couple times! Maybe its keeping the toolhead only a 1/16" or so from the pull that makes it tighter, i.e., less shaft under tension? But I find it works!

Latest posts